Sunday, August 31, 2014

So you're going for a PR?

Oh man, it's a two post kind of day!  This one is going to be short and sweet.  EST is getting ready to start a squat cycle, and tonight was a 1RM for a "Squat" according to the website.  I had a lot of things lined up to do today.  A lot of things got moved to go get this 1RM... I don't know exactly where I'm at here... would like to get started with something in mind.  Last 1RM from a front squat I can remember, was something like 125 at CFDS 3 months ago.  I remember it because my wrist hurt, I didn't have good form...no front rack...  it was bad. 

Fast forward from then to today, and I'm ready, I get to the box, and I'm looking forward to finding my what my 1RM BACK squat is going to be.  I planned on this to be EPIC.  I can feel it.  Imagine my surprise when I walk in and see 1RM... for the front squat.  Man.  Dang.  LOL.  I really wanted to make up for my problems on Monday with losing the bar. 

There is more WOD than the 1RM tonight, but I couldn't move all my plans, so I was going to get my 1RM and bounce.  Got warmed up, started working.  One thing I've started trying to do...and I think it's only good in the beginning, but I don't count the weight on the bar after the heaviest bumper/plate is on.  Particularly when I'm going for a 1RM.  I don't want to know, I go as heavy and as hard as I can, until I can't go anymore.  Makes it a surprise for everyone.  LOL!

So after putting 25's on, I would move 10's, 5's, more 25's on and off the bar, getting heavier, but not paying attention to how much more I added.  So today, as I'm squatting, I'm trying to keep my rack high, and I focused on a spot on the wall for every lift.  As it go heavier... I suffered, but the squat was solid, and the rack was better than it's ever been.  What made me stop... it got exceptionally heavy for me in the rack.  I think I could have squatted even more, but I was worried about dropping the bar.  My rack is better...but it's not perfect.  Still heavy on the wrists....

So I get to my final weight and stop.  The last thing that we were going to do was called a walk out... I don't know if thats the official name for it, but it was taking 10% of your 1RM, un-racking, and then holding it for about 10 seconds.  The thought behind it is to get your nervous system used to the idea of the extra weight, holding it, etc, so when you get that heavy again, you know what it's like, and know you can hold it.  Make sense?  If any coaches can call this out...help me out, that would be great. 

My walk out...or whatever it's called, for that weight I went ahead and added two 25# plates to it and called it good... the only real downside to the way that I'm doing it, don't really know what that 10% is... know what I mean?  

So I'm all done, take the 25#'s off each side, and it's time to count.  Final tabulation, 175#.  That my dear sir/ma'am, is a 50 pound PR.  YES.  Want to take this time to thank CrossFit Diamond State, CrossFit Establish, and CrossFit Unlocked.  Without you guys, I never would have been here, never would have had these gains, and I'm thankful for every coach I've ever worked with. 

Looking forward to making it to 200#'s.  I think thats my goal for EVERY lift.  Snatch, Clean, OHS, Push Press, Strict Press, all of it.  Simply put, I want to be a strong dude.  Yes, yes I do.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment