Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Clock watching

Gonna tell you up front, no WOD talking tonight, so if you need to bail, I've got you.  If you happen to have already popped that popcorn, then I'm going to tell you a story. 

Today was long, and that bear complex... some new soreness, and some old soreness.  I wasn't expecting the abs to be sore, but my triceps, my goodness.  Just yawning and stretching today has been an amazing experience...and one I don't really want to have again any time soon. 

Work was work, but then there was this meeting scheduled for 430...and it had the look of one that would run over.  And run over it did.  I watched the clock hit 5 o'clock.  Then I watched the minute hand hit 5, 10, 15, 25, 35, 45, 5:54, finally done.   6 minutes to get changed and drive 30 minutes to Unlocked... not going to make it.  !@#$

I had half this blog written before this fiasco.  Was going to call it the chipper...because the WOD was going to be the first one ever identified to me as a chipper.   No matter.  I knew most of the movements I could simulate with a weight bench, and some free weights.  I had this new scenario half written before the end of the meeting...was going to call this one Improvise, Adapt, and Overcome.  I'm a man of big plans and creative vision... LOL

I get back to the room, get changed, grab some water, head down to the hotel gym.  Get to the door, slide the key through the lock, and I'm in.  The first thing that assailed my senses was the smell.  I don't have the words or experiences to describe it, sweat, staleness, funk...maybe a bit of mold?  It's ok, I can work through this.  Taking stock of the room... there is nothing I can use.  There is a machine in the corner, a few medicine balls, a stationary bike, treadmill, and an elliptical.  The smell keeps me from trying to problem solve this here, I go back to my room. 

At this point, I've figured out how I can do most all of this WOD in my hotel room.  I start warming up... I don't know if it was the bear, the soreness, the fact I'm in my room... but it's just not feeling right.  The air squats, the tricep stretches, none of it felt right....so today is going to be a rest day.  I'm not going to get all philosophical about it, say that maybe it's for the best and all that...  Just going to take it for what it is, a chance to get less sore... but if second day soreness is any indication, tomorrow is going to be worse than today. 

Tomorrow is a travel day, then Friday should be another WOD... well, it will be another WOD, but I might do open gym instead.  Coach Gia had a birthday very recently, and they have a nasty nasty nasty WOD for it...might do that one instead.  :D  Hope to tell you all about it soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment