Sunday, August 31, 2014

Back to basics

Hey there!  It's a warm day out...and the AC just went out in the car yesterday... 95 degrees of happiness, let me tell you.  Missed my typical timeline of blogging any day I do things  CrossFit related... but it's ok, we're here now. 

Friday was an interesting day workout wise.  The latest bootcamp class was having their final WOD, so the invite went out to the rest of the box to show up at 7, WOD with them, and then have some refreshments afterwards.  Well, there seemed to be some confusion as to which WOD we were going to do.  The one on the main board was 3 rounds of weighted lunges and TGU's, and then a Tabata setup of wall balls, rowing, situps, and burpees.  I mean, I guess thats as good a WOD to come in on as any... not like their first real WOD was Fran or anything.... 

On the other board, we have the bootcampers first WOD... which would be a great thing to benchmark against.... go figure right?  The coaches had a pow wow, and we did bits of the TGU's and some other things as a warmup.  Then the WOD.  It was a pretty nice one to do on a Friday.  12-9-6 Air squats, empty bar strict press, burpees, and a 100m run.  The run got added in at right before we started... I didn't do it... I prolly could have, and a the better man in me say I should have. 

Coaches also decided that 95lbs was going to be Rx for this workout.  Talking with the Professor, and Weldy,  Prof was like "oh c'mon Dan, it won't be that bad".  So I put the 25's on, and do a few...yeah, not bad.  So I'm ready, game time.  The airsquats were airsquats, all of me up, all of me down.  Slower than everyone else still.  Not unexpected, but man... c'mon.  As it comes off, I'll get more comfortable with them, and should get faster... Maybe I'll look into just dropping like a rock?  Strict press, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.... not bad so far.  7...8...  ok, now it's getting heavy.  10...stop...didn't put the bar down, just stopped, then pushed the last two up.  "not bad" huh... yeah, right. 

The burpees...  the goddam burpees..  and picture it said like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbUYhSV_u50  those first 12 hurt.  The benching Thursday, that strict press...and now the burpees... killer.  I'm finishing up the last of the burpees as people are getting back, and some of them getting done with their squats.... slow again.  I pop tall, and on to the airsquats, no big issue here.  This next set of presses was hard... broke it up into two sets.  Struggling.  The burpees were tortuous.  I got up... a beaten man.  Last round, squat, again, no problem.  Broke the press's in half again... and these things were awful.  I mean back bowed, head to the side, pushing with every fiber of my being to get them overhead...ugly, but completed.  Last burpees... 7:20... and beaten by everyone but another slow guy who actually ran... and he was a bootcamper.  I feel a little guilty about it, but... yeah. 

I want to keep that in mind for posterity sake, maybe do this again in 3 months, and see exactly where I am when the dust settles...and maybe do it running.  :D

I'm off, got 40 minutes to get to the spot, and get my 1RM for the squat before we start the squat cycle... wish me luck.  

No comments:

Post a Comment