Friday, August 22, 2014

Happy Belated Birthday Coach Gia!

I actually told her Happy Birthday on her birthday, but tonight was all about that birthday WOD.  Just so you know.  No guilt here for doing this late.  :D

Today was bad...first, I went to bed late again...give me a break here, it's my first night home, I usually stay up late.  Now lets get to nutrition... or the lack there of.  No lunch today, think I had a handful of nuts when I got home, took a nap, then got up and had some greek yogurt with protein enriched granola.  Figured (really I hoped) that would give me some energy for the WOD tonight. 

So I get to EST tonight, at 610, open gym isn't till 7.  There was one person there.  It's hot here.  I'm talking 95+ with 80% + humidity.  People tell me it's been like this all week, and it's going to be there again tomorrow.  EST is doing the 31 hero WOD at 9am on Saturday, best of luck to everyone there, I'll be asleep, have to catch up at some time.  
I started warming up for this challenging WOD.  I didn't have a plan... probably another mistake.  Stretched, did some of the movements, stretched some more, did more movements with the bar and some weight, finally I'm ready. Or at least I think I'm ready.  I set up my space, class of new athletes is going to be on the other side of this rig. 
The WOD is this:

Cash in: 26 burpees
Then 8 rounds
1 muscle up
6 deadlifts 275/185#
8 HSPU
8 squat cleans 185/125#
Cash out: 26 burpee box jumps 


If you've looked at these numbers, and take another look at that picture... you'll notice some subtle differences in the weights... LOL.  The 275 deadlifts are possible, but it's close enough to my known 1 RM... I don't think thats a good idea, put up 185, I'll roll with that...well, I thought there were 35's on the end, and that it was 205... didn't realize the mistake till later.  The squat cleans didn't happen either... between my knees, fear, some laziness, and that weight, which is 40lbs over my current 1RM...I went with 95# power cleans... in retrospect, I should have made it 135 if I wasn't going to do the squats... maybe next time.  

My lov...I mean disdain for burpees is well known by now, or it should be.  I took my phone and started the stop watch.  Dove right into the burpees.  26 later, I wanted to be like "I'm done" and walk.  Covered in sweat, living the dream in a sweat box.  My muscle ups were... special.  I'll have to work with a coach on some more scaling options.  The deadlifts were good, the HSPU's...after conquering the use of a box, I did that scaled, and then the p.cleans....I'm actually getting irritated at myself for not putting more weight on that... I'll get over it here in a sec.  

First round was easy enough.  Two was good.  Three took a while.  Four had a lot of rest in it.  At this point my lack of food and sleep has thoroughly zapped me.  I've sweat through both shirts, I'm dripping from the shirts, and the fans and water are doing nothing for me.  I'm done.  Wait... I've got more burpees... well damn.  I've halved everything but the first set... I half these too.  29:13 is my time for what is essentially a halfy birthday WOD.  :)

I don't lay on the ground normally... I wanted to.  Badly.  Sat on the box in front of the fan for a min instead.  Ug.  Tired, wiped out.  When I got up, I almost started the clock and finished.  I felt a lot better after 2 minutes of sitting.  Figured that wouldn't be in the spirit of the WOD (and that it was a false flag), so I cleaned up, said my good byes, did a cool down, and took off. 

I'm going to keep this workout in my back pocket as a benchmark.  Not quite a Fran or Cindy or anything, but I can measure what I did this time to next.  Might be up early enough to go to the 31 WOD tomorrow, cheer some folks on.  Should be signing up for the Lurong Challenge tomorrow as well.  http://www.lurongliving.com/challenge/  Check it out, and if you happen to be near EST, CFDS or CF Unlocked, I'm pretty sure they're all listed as affiliates.  If those aren't in your area, I'm pretty sure there is one near you if you're interested.  May the odds ever be in your favor...or something like that.  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment