Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Always worth the drive

Made it to Diamond State tonight.  Made it in time to do the 630 WOD.  Worth the time invested in getting there.  Got to see every coach but Randi tonight, and a lot of "the regulars" from when I was a regular.  It was a great time.  Leads me to the realization that if I can keep this up, I'll have be subject to 3 different coaches programming... I don't really know what this means.  LOL.  Muscle confusion at it's best most likely. 

Alight, semi mush stuff out of the way, lets get to the meat n' potatoes.  Tonight's WOD was a fun one, and I'm sore from it...tomorrow will be a battle, whether I end up at CFDS or CFU.  Ok, now I'll get to it. 

The warmup tonight was a bit different than I'm used to.  Starting with 3 minutes of jump rope.  I don't think it said DU's... probably more jumping that I've done straight in a while.  Reminds me... I still need to buy a rope... We did some other stretching, this was just the bit that was a little different than what I'm used to.  The other thing of note...to me, was we did handstand holds for those who could, or planks for those who couldn't... 3 rounds, 20 seconds on, 10 seconds rest.  By the end of it... the space where my abs will be... was on fire....that good burn...or at least a burn you remember as you're getting ready for skill work..

Skill work.  HSPU's and Pistols.  Still not strong enough to do HSPUs.... it'll come, soon enough....so today, I did lots of pushups.  The pistols....those were special.  Another CrossFit first.  My chosen attempt was to do it onto a box.  I didn't make it to the box.  LOL.  I bent down as far as I dared...as far as I knew I'd still be able to stand back up anyway...  I'm sure it was probably comical...if I didn't look like I was trying so hard.  Sigh.  I think next time I try them, I'm going to use a rig for support and go lower... the box thing just didn't seem right... or, maybe I'm really just at that point, and it's going to take practice... maybe it's a bit of both.  Still, 454 is a lot of weight to try and squat one legged. 

Great, so now I've got ravaged abs, my quads are being babys... and we haven't even done the METCON.  You'll probably start seeing the hashtag 3coachesprogramming in future posts.  I chose my life, I'll deal with it...you just get to read about it and feel just a little sorry for me. 

15 minute AMRAP.  3 different 5 minute workouts.  From 0-5 minutes, we're doing 5 deadlifts and 15 pushups.  I picked L1 on the scale (95/65#).  I was going to pick L2, which was 135#, but it was recommended to use the same weight throughout...and after all the pushups and skill work... 95# would do... as a yay to me, this is one of the first WODs, if not the first at CFDS where I did L1 through the whole thing, and not something lighter.  Small moment of pride.  #gettingstronger

Alright, so this AMRAP was great, till I got to the pushups... After having already done some, my arms were already weary... and in sets of 15... ug.  The deadlifts were a piece of cake, but those pushups... got through 4 rounds of deadlifts, and was on pushup 3 of that 4th set when time was called.  Relief right?  LOL.  No.  Payne!


The second part that fit into the next 5 minutes was a 4 rounder for time.  4 hang power cleans, 6 front rack lunges.  Surprisingly (to me), the hang cleans were tough at 95.  They didn't look pretty at all.  I was getting the weight up in the rack fine enough... but I didn't feel super smooth about it... might just be me.  The lunges.  I only did 1 round with the weight in the rack position.  I punked out.  Looking back, I probably could have done them all with it... well maybe...  "keepin' it real", I don't know one way or the other if I could have done it... I ended up doing regular lunges instead.  The burn wasn't quite the same, but the burn was there anyway.  The last lunge took solid effort to come out of.  4:28 seconds.  So I get 32 seconds to get my breath back.  Good luck. 

Final round, another AMRAP of 5 minutes.  7 push press, 12 situps.... more situps... I can't contain the joy.  My push press is heavy, almost too heavy at this point... I did work on keeping my heels down, something I didn't do the last time I did them at EST...it helped, got me through 2 full rounds.  The situps for this were rough, as I'm sure you can imagine.  I switched between butterfly and straight legged.  Those butterflys feel so much harder... maybe they are?  I ended up starting my 3rd set of push presses.  Got to 6 before I ran out of time.

I'm spent.  This was awful, and awesome.  Chest bumps and high fives.  I miss this.  They we're pretty good about it at Unlocked.  Need to get that community feel at EST still...it's coming along, don't get me wrong, but we're not where the Delaware affiliates are yet.

I stuck around a while longer, talked to a few more familiar faces.  Good to see the family again.  Gia posed an interesting question... and keep in mind I've only actually worked out once in my last two visits, but she was like "why don't you come to my classes?".  LOL  I might try to do that tomorrow... just got an EZ Pass tonight, figure it will shave 2 minutes off the commute.  We'll see where I end up, the programming at both places looks like a good, sweaty time.

It's 1am, I'm going to bed, need to get some recovery in after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment