Saturday, August 2, 2014

....but I don't want to go

Man alive, I didn't want to go to the box yesterday.  I was still sore, tired, cranky, winey....and I had even more excuses lined up for reasons I should not go.  Ignored them all, and I went.  You know why?  Because I know that going to the gym when, even when I don't feel like going, will give me the results I want.  Have to put in the time to get the rewards.  Jerry Rice's quote comes to mind....

“Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't”

I like that one a lot, and it wasn't till I was there, rolling out and stretching with Adrian and Linz that that particular thought matured enough.  My body and mind knew enough to get me to the box, regardless of my crybaby attitude, and then it was all mystically clear. 

Another interesting thing happened.  About 3 movements into the warmup, I'm not longer achy...or concerned about being achy, I'm just moving and priming the body for another WOD... funny how that works. 

Yesterdays WOD was really a pretty good one to go to, sore or not.  The strength part wasn't really anything that we'd touched during the week, so my shoulders/arms were getting a bit of a break, which is fine by me.  We did Romania Deadlifts at about 60% of the 1RM of the traditional deadlift. 

I worked into mine around the 3rd set of 4, which was the goal.  The lifting itself wasn't terribly heavy, but my grip...my goodness, it was seemingly weak.  I never dropped the bar, but by the end of my last set, I was struggling to hold on with those last vestiges of strength in my fingers.  I think I just need to adopt the hook grip and use it exclusively. 

The METCON was pretty straightforward, 500m row, 20 hand release push ups, 30 KB swings, and a 400m run.  2 rounds for time.  Adrian is a big fan of the ring pushups.  Me, not so much.  I'm slow on them, working on stabilizing as much as pushing, I fall behind.  The KB's are my equalizer.  Not wanting to be dead last, I blast through the pain and only stop once each set to get a better grip.  

The bear of the workout for me was the 400m run and then 500m row....since I row everything, it's a 900m row.  Got it done in a decent amount of time, then got back to the pushups and KB swings.  My final time after everything was like 15:28.... ha, funny, I said it was "like" that and pulled out an exact number... so my time WAS 15:28, and I wasn't dead last.  Yay to me. 

I'm looking forward to next week.  I plan on hitting up CrossFit Unlocked for the first time on Monday, and Diamond State Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe both.  I'm excited to get back to my first state of fitness...which happens to be the first state....so clever, I know.  Contrary to the title of this post, I don't want to miss those days.  :D  See you then!


Oh, and for those of you long time readers, clearly I've changed the format and look, any thoughts or feedback you feel like leaving is appreciated, be it positive or negative reactions to the changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment