Monday, August 11, 2014

OHS frustration continues...

Man, tonight sucked.  I didn't WOD particularly well, but I'm still glad I went.  Let me catch you up to today right quick. 

Obviously, unlike my last posts suggestion, I didn't get back to this on Friday.  Took Friday and the rest of the weekend as a rest period.  I do, looking back, wish I'd gone in on Sunday, they did OHS's and I think that would have benefited me greatly.  As it was, Saturday and Sunday both found my knees (though a different one each day) in a bit of pain... like achy stuff... could have been all the front squats, or the lack of supplements while I was out last week...  either way, I had to get back today, if for nothing else, to get my body back to being ready for the rigors of the week. 

Alright, so thats my weekend, or most of it in 4 sentences, just the way I like it, uneventful.  On to today.  The WOD was something that I don't do particularly well (yet), but want to get better at.  Had a lot of success with these after some coaching by Jordan at the EST Barbell Club (EBC).  What is this dastardly movement?  Snatches.  Real snatches to be specific, not just the power snatch with an OHS at the end.  I was real excited to finally do them right that night at EBC, only got to 75#, but it was something to build on.

Didn't build on it tonight though.  Got really frustrated with it too.  Granted I'm doing it at 65#, which is  over 85% of my 1RM, and probably too high a weight to start with, but I wasn't thinking about that while trying to snatch.  I did poorly, like I said, super frustrated.  Getting it up was easy, getting under the bar and being stable was uber difficult... I know now (as of writing this out) that I need to start lighter.  Simple as that.  #introspectionworks

Adrian, being the coach he is, sees my frustration, and brings out a trusty box, so I'm power snatching, and then OHS down to the box.  He tells me I'm losing my tension at the spot the box is at.  So I work that a few times, flip the box to a lower height, and do a few more of those.  I got lower with the 65#, but it's still not as stable as I want to be.  I can't put into words how aggravating this is.  I'm going to make this a focus over the coming month and a half.  I want to start seeing some gains/improvement in my snatch and OHS.  Coaches, expect questions. 

The METCON part of the WOD was "easy".  Partner WOD consisting of:
In teams of two, one working at a time:
5 Rounds:
-5 Overhead Squat
-10 Kettlebell Swings 70/46
-20 Double-Unders

There were only 4 of us at the 6pm class, so it was a pretty easy split for partners.  If there had been 5, I'd have done this solo.  I didn't think this needed to be split up, but in the same breath, I'm glad it was.  The OHS's, I traded the 10's on the end, for just the bar, and I SMASHED these OHS.  I mean I was fast, and doing it well, only roll up on the toes at most, once a set.  I was getting after it, getting low, and staying locked out.  Frustration turned to fuel. 

Addy...Eddy...My partner, I call him Addy, we all do, and I can't find him of FB to give his full name, but he killed it tonight.  Dude has come so far in a similar timeframe as myself.  It's been really cool to watch him get stronger.  He does things now, 3 months in, that he couldn't do when he started.  Incredible. 

Addy and I hammered this WOD out.  We didn't beat the other team, but we both put in some quality work.  Felt good to be done, still frustrated about the OHS's, but I'm getting over it.  Celebrating another CrossFitters gains helps me get over my own issues.  :)

Tomorrow is all upper body work, and my legs need a break.  Happy to get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment