Friday, August 15, 2014

...and it wasn't pretty

In the almost 4 months since I started CrossFitting, I've learned a lot, and know there is still plenty that I don't know.  What I do know... or can truly appreciate now, is someone doing Olympic lifting with fantastic form.  I mean there are few things prettier in the box (to me) than watching someone use perfect form/technique in a lift.  Tonight, my form was ugly.

Well, my lifts were ugly....my form hasn't been the best looking (in my mind) at all this week.  That said, I came into tonight with one thought, and that was hitting PR's.  #startingwiththeendinmind

The warmup tonight was a little bit taxing.  After doing a round of it with PVC, I did the next round with a bar.  So 10 full cleans, 10 OHS, and then 10 strict press.  It's not that the bar was overly heavy...but I never put it down, and towards the end it seemed a lot heavier than it was.  In truth, I was concerned that I would take some of the gas out of the tank.  Turned out to not be the case...or at least not noticeably.  

Tonight's WOD was a three part WOD.  Get a heavy 2 RM power snatch, 2 RM strict press, and then time for hand stand pushup variations (work on "something" essentially).  I saw this last night and my first thought was "OH BOY, I'm PRing tomorrow".  Made it a statement of fact rather than saying to myself "I'm going to TRY to PR tomorrow". 

Luckily for me, I didn't have any PR's for the power snatch, so I didn't have to worry about a set weight.  I went heavy, and I kept going.  Around 105, the power snatches started getting heavy, it was starting to get ugly.  I was still gently putting the bar on the ground, trying to do touch n go's... and  the outsides of my shoulders didn't appreciate it.  Adrian tells me it's more than OK to drop the weight.  You got it.  Put more weight on, got this one up, getting uglier.  Brought it down to around shoulder height or so before I let it go.  Controlled drop, no crazy bounce, stayed right where I wanted it to.  Wish more people would do this...I've seen some things. 

Added more weight.  Ugliest one yet, but I got it up, over my head, locked out.  #winning  Got to 125.  Respectable considering where I'm at in my CrossFit journey.  Also gives me an idea what I need to be able to OHS... so then I can full snatch this... getting it one piece at a time.  We'll get there. 

The strict press was where I wanted to make my some progress on tonight.  Started at 65, jumped to 95, and then from there, just added 5's and 10's until I was barely squeaking out my two reps.  It was pretty late in the workout, and a lot of my good focus and energy was used up.  I went by a few others, I smiled and joked, I could feel the endorphins... this was going to be one of my last lifts of the night, I grabbed 2 more 10# bumpers...

I'm looking at 2 25s' and 4 10's on my bar.  I didn't want to do the math, I just grabbed the bar and pushed.  It was slow going, just pushing as hard as I can as the bar slowly rose...and then, I was able to get my head through, get that extra bit of back into it... the first 1/2 of the lift, hard, the second half, not so much.  Went through this progression one more time.  Thats it, I don't think I can add anymore weight.  Time for the gym math.  135#.  20 pound PR.  YEAH!

Everyone PR'd tonight....well, all 4 of us in the 6pm class.  And this was with a 2RM scheme... and the numbers are still over my 1RM... yeah, we'll take that.  None of it was pretty, but it got done, and I hit my goals, just like I knew I would.  A successful night indeed. 

I was spent, I didn't bother with any of the HSPU progression.  Cooled down, said my c ya laters, and I was gone. 

The aftermath... my shoulder, my left shoulder, hurts... I may have done too much.  It's not the ow I'm sore hurt, this feels like it might be my first injury.  I'm hoping not, and I'm going to see the chiropractor tomorrow, and maybe my brother and his so called magic hands... I may need them.  Hopefully I don't. 


No comments:

Post a Comment