Monday, August 25, 2014

Dog days of summer

The "cool" weather was nice while it lasted, but the heat is on.  I got to the box today, and while talking with a few folks, someone blurted out "it's HOT".  I shot them the iciest stare I could and said no no, it's just warm.  Everyone had a good laugh.  Recorded high was a clean 100.  I usually don't call it hot till it hits triple digits... guess thats what time in a FedEx trailer stacking boxes gets you.

Tonight's WOD was WAC..... Weights As Cardio.... or at least it felt like it was WAC.  LOL.  The stretching tonight was good.  I had some tight hamstrings over the weekend, so I was looking forward to it.  Felt good to be back in the box, even with it being hot as bawls.

The strength element was back squats.  I saw that last night, and was hoping for 1RM... and I've got a 1RM, but it's locked away in Wodify.  Once I get back to CFDS and start paying, should get access back to that tool.  Until then, I have to find it on my own.... well, actually, no.  Tonight we were looking to do 4 sets of 3-5 reps of 80% of our 1RM.  I *think* that mine was in the 150's...so I ended up with 125 on my bar.  I think I'm waaaaay stronger than this now.  Don't get me wrong, it was still a challenge but I can do more.  Did have an issue on the lest set though.  I don't know what happened, but as I'm starting to come up out of the squat, I lurched forward, hands came off the bar to catch myself from falling....and the only thing the kept the bar off the ground was my neck...   Ended up saving myself and getting back to the rack... Have to watch for that more next time.

The METCON was a nice little burner.  12 Push Press at 95 lbs, and 12 KB swings, 4 times for time.  I could have probably done both Rx.  95lbs is now a bit below the 1RM... that said, I didn't want to go RX and take 10+ minutes to do this.  I did 75, and 1 pood on the KB not the 2 pood it called for.  Pood, for those of you who have never heard the term:  http://www.kettlebellsusa.com
I got the first round down in just under a minute, probably faster if I'd concentrated more.  The second was when everything got heavy.  Having to set the bar down is a clock killer.  I probably could have muscled through the pain, but I let that sweet sweet seductive voice in my head sell me on the benefits of the bar being on the floor.  If I'm going to get better at these types of movements, I'm going to have to ignore the sales pitches from the brain, listen to the heart instead.

It was fun, and difficult, and it shows me more areas to improve on.  Tomorrows WOD is going to be nasty....absolutely disgusting in 95 degree heat.  Going to make sure I get plenty of sleep and eat well for that.  Leads me to some closet cleaning.  Haven't been eating particularly well the past month.  Not bad mind you, but not 100% Paleo either.  I'm looking forward to the Lurong Challenge, my first CrossFit competition in a way.  Will be a great way to get back on track with my nutrition, and a great way to track some progress.  I've been saying I'll get measurements soon for a while now... looks like "soon" is finally going to be here. 

PCP appointment is in another few weeks as well.  Scales don't lie, and I'm anxious to see the story it's going to tell.  

No comments:

Post a Comment