Tuesday, August 19, 2014

So thats a bear complex huh?

I'm a lucky dude.  I've got some fantastic friends, and I really need to thank Andy and Gia at CFDS for suggesting Unlocked.  After the WOD tonight, I didn't have to rush off to get new shoes, or new gear, didn't need to be back at the hotel for anything, so I got to hang out, get to know folks a bit.  I like the people out here.  Really, I'm pretty sure most CrossFit boxes are going to have someone you'd say "oh ____, yeah, he/she is good people", but in this case, it's me talking, and I'm saying my good people linked me up with more good people.  Maybe it's not luck, maybe I'm blessed.  Maybe it's both...  *shrug*

I gotta tell you, there are days I have a love/hate relationship with my job.  We do good work as a company, we're impacting healthcare in a meaningful and good way... but man they keep messing with my CrossFit.  After this week I'm back in KC for 2 weeks... I can't get a solid rhythm with programming if I can't get consistency, don't they know that?  Sheesh. 

Anyway, this bear complex... not as weird as a Shankle.  I still think everyone who's never seen the man do his own complex, need to hop on YouTube and take a look, it makes more sense afterwards.  Man, I keep getting sidetracked... We started the WOD today with a deload strict press.  I still don't fully know what deloading programming is, but I know it's purpose.  Going back to my crazy travel and not having the same programming every week....ok, really, back to today...

So, it's 3 sets of a 5 reps, at 40, 50, and 60% of the 1RM... feels like a warm up, and maybe thats the purpose?  Next is an EMOM, that is pretty much the same thing we're going to be doing for the WOD...  I don't make the programming up, and I usually don't understand it...my job is to do it (for now).  8 minutes, 1 power clean, to a jerk movement, to a back squat, to a back jerk.  I've never done a back jerk before, so I started at 65 to test it out, then 85, landed on 95# for the EMOM.  Around the 4th minute, I started noticing people adding weight.... and the first couple of back jerks weren't really great, but by #4 it felt fine, so by the 5th movement, I started adding little weights.  Everyone had snatched up the 5's, so I settled for 2.5's.  This is still my first time doing back jerks, so really, small increments are probably good.  Ended up at 105.  I'll take that for a first time. 

THE BEAR.  Several movements put together, I did it two different ways.  The way I tried to it was a full clean into a thruster (from the bottom of the clean), into a back squat into another thruster (from the back squat).  1.  The other way was slower... power clean, front squat, push press (or push jerk), back squat, rear jerk.  Man, that was painful writing.  Ug.   We did it in 12-9-6-3, with the same number of HSPU's. 

Workout was difficult, but it's the kind of difficult I like.  Love me some weights... not so much when it's done for cardio effect... but still.  I even graduated up to doing quasi pike off the box HSPUs.  First time even attempting that from a box... Getting stronger, getting better.  Unlocked is becoming a land of firsts.  

Got the WOD done, wasn't the last person, but I have a nagging suspicion I missed a complex or two.  Tired body tired mind.  One thing I clearly need to take some extra time on is my breathing.  I was sucking eggs before I got halfway though the first 12, and it only got worse.  Consistent intensity is the key... can't be consistent without the air can you?

So, like I said, got to stick around for a bit.  Some of the coaches did this little 3x1 workout (modeled off the 3x3 at the games).  1k row, 100 DU's, 1 mile run.  There were more than a few who'd just got done with the 6pm WOD, or the 5pm WOD.  On one hand, this sums up the insanity of some athletes in CrossFit, on the other hand, I can't wait till I can mix it up with them.  Soon enough.

Well, I've always said I try to be coachable.  I've been told I need more sleep... and I've known how important sleep is for a while now, but lately haven't always been the best following up... going to get that Rx on my sleep tonight, catch you tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment