Monday, July 7, 2014

To hell with dignity, I'll leave when he jobs done...

How was your 4th?  I hope it was awesome.  Spent an hour or so waiting for a fireworks show, lasted 5 minutes....and I'd probably go back next year, just maybe go back a little later so I don't have to wait so long.  Leads me to the next question...eeerybody is saying things like 'merica and 'murica...  my question to you is this, which on is it?  Maybe it's both... 

So, threes days rest, and I'm feeling...creaky.  Fresh, but creaky.  Couldn't drag myself out of bed to go to the 0930 class...but I got to the noon class.  Yesterday, we had a heat index of 103.  I believe it's actually warmer today, so the heat index is probably similar....goody, and here I am deciding to go at noon...  Should be lovely. 

We warmed up with 2 minute AMRAP of DUs.  I'm still working on getting 10 singles in a row regularly.  There is a lot of me to get to jump up and down...  Actually, today I noticed that my knee was hurting...the one I didn't get the MRI done on...it was hurting on the landing.  I think I turn the foot inside a bit when I jump...possible side effect to breaking that ankle years ago?  Maybe.  Might have to take some time to work on keeping everything neutral. 

Warmups are over...dripping sweat...I'm ready to see my PCP on Friday, jump on that scale, see where we're at.  Need to get this second shirt off, so I've just got the sleeveless, and eventually, maybe a bro tank.  

Strength part today was rough.  I didn't like it.  At all.  Snatch Balance and Jerk was the name of the game.  We started in the physical rack, then to a back squat position, then the objective was to drop under the weight while keeping it in a snatch position... if that makes sense.  Basically you don't want the weight to move, you just move from the rear squat start/upright position to a squatting snatch position.  The only thing moving is you, the bar should remain as motionless as possible. 

So my knee is already smarting a bit, and now I'm trying to drop my body under a bar, yeah right.  I do ok with just the bar, but when I add some weight, it gets exponentially more difficult.  At one point...no, actually at two points I drop the bar.  I hate this.  Really.  Hopefully this stuff helped with my balance and and jerk...or whatever it was called, cause this was a pain.  

METCON time baby!  Time for the heat and humidity to take effect.  Actually, Coach Clay took some time to explain to some folks what METCON stood for, and what the different bits of it work.  Aerobic, anaerobic, etc.  Learned (and promptly forgot sadly...) something new for the day.  Good thing we have the Google.  :)

AMRAP time.  7 toes to bar, 14 wallballs, 7 minutes.  I had some grand plans for this, I was wanting to smash it, planning on beating all but maybe the top results, but like all grand plans, once the party started, things changed.  HA!  I really don't care for this hanging about business...I'm trying to get better at keeping an active shoulder position while trying to get my knees up (for my scaled toes to bar), but it's a difficult thing holding this much weight up.  Maybe as I continue to get stronger it will get easier?  In the meantime, I may switch it to the laying down and doing toes to bar bit.  As far as ab exercises go, if the partner leg throw down is any indication, this will build up that strength much faster...or so I think.  Coaches?

4 sets is what I made it to.  Not the most by a long shot, but not the least either.  Wallballs just hurt now, no one thing about them is awful, just all around PITA...or rather in the legs.  If I use the lightest ball, they seem quite a bit easier, but the quads still suffer (I went medium ball today)... I'd like to think they get better/easier with time, but I doubt it....wouldn't be in some many WODs if it did. 

Last bit today was a 400m run and a 400m row.  As I'm sure you can imagine, I row'd the whole thing.  Made pretty good time too.  Immediately after I was done, I wished I'd go for a full 1000 to see how much better my time has gotten.  I'm sure I'll get the chance soon enough.  3:35 was my time, I feel pretty good about it all things considered.  Got up and was gulping air for a few minutes...this breathing thing has to get better at some point right?  Sigh.

In other news....

Looks like I'm getting a new client, finally.  Being able to watch the World Cup has been awesome for me, tried to keep it off social media as best I could, but I love this stuff.  Eat it up though, shame it's almost over.  But, I've been home for a while now, and it's time to get back to nomading.  Might have a new box to talk about soon. 

Quote of the day, courtesy of the movie I've been watching, Skyfall.  "To hell with dignity, I'll leave when he jobs done".  That wasn't the type of WOD today, the kind where I didn't care how I looked, just glad I survived.  But there are plenty of those out there, and that's just a little something to keep in mind when you find yourself in the thick of it.  Forget about the dignity of it, we're all suffering, just get the job done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment