Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Accidental surprise

I did a big no no today, or last night...stayed up waaay too late and only got 5 hours of sleep.  Took 2 (count'em, TWO) 5 hour energy's to get me through an 8 hour day today....still went and WOD'deded.  To be fair though, I thought it was going to be easier than it was, not because of what it was, but because of how I thought it was going to be... Lemmie 'splain.

Actually, lemmie take a step back.  I'M BACK!  That whole "owwwy, I'm sore from lack of doing WODs" is gone.  My body is back in the rhythm of getting my butt handed to me.  It's good to be back, that achy stuff is for noobs and hero WODs.  Sorry, had to share my big smile, I'm not totally decrepit as I write this, it's a good day.

Ok, so the warmup today, little involved.  My KB OHS... was gawd awful.  It's like I couldn't bend my knees holding on to the KB over my head like that... put that in my growing pile of things to work on.... Anyway, the point of me bringing up the warmup was because when we were done, I was tightening the Olys, and from one shoe to the next, there was this nice, neat line of 10-15 sweat drops in a row...

So todays WOD was a 2 part EMOM, and a final piece of rowing for time.  The first part was a Clean or Power Clean x2 reps, for 12 minutes, adding weight each time. I'm glad I grabbed the 5lbs, and that Jordan had the sense to toss the 2.5lbs down near me too.  I kept adding weight until I caught J's eye, and then with him there, I worked on getting under the bar a bit more.  I need to get better on my 1/4 squat anyway...but the last couple, I worked on getting "under" the bar quicker.  Not perfect but better, I'll take it.

Second EMOM, also for 12 minutes, is 10KB swings, and 5 burpees.  Now, my confusion was that it was 1 minute for the KB swings, and 1 minute for 5 burpees, and then back to the swings... I can hear you laughing...I'm laughing myself.  Not exactly how it's supposed to work.  So the first EMOM starts, and I get the KB's done...oh, and I've finally gone up to the 1 pood (36lbs right?).  So I'm done with my 10, and everyone drops down and doing burpees....and I'm like no no no, thats the second minute... and they're like no no no, it's all in the same minute.

!@#!$!@#

!@#$ #$%$  @#$%@#$   @#$%@#$%

2nd minute starts, KB's a swinging, and then I drop for the burpees.  I got 3 in before the top of the minute, back to KB swings.  Get the 10 done in around 20 seconds, respectable.  The burpees.... I get two done this time.  Beep, another minute.  KB swings.  One burpee is all I managed.  My shoulders...and really my arms, are pushing all this weight up to a position to either hop up, or get up one leg at a time.  The struggle continues with burpees.  I staggered to my feet, and Jordan and I shared a look, it's instant, and took the next round off.  The rest of the time I do the full thing, but it takes me a minute 20 roughly to bang out all 5 burpees.

It still irritates me...no, frustrates me that I struggle so mightily with these.  I know they're going to get better with time, but still.  Chris is seemingly always around for burpees...cause he pumps me up a little, saying things like "I can't imagine how much harder it is for you than me.  I know you're probably putting in 3, maybe 4 times the work I am.  Keep it up"....he says stuff like that to me all the time... Helps me get out of my funk quickly, and he's probably right.

I know I talked about intensity yesterday...it's hard for me to be intense when it comes to burpees.  I do them as fast as I'm able, but dat gum they...ug!  Moving on, the 500m row... I beat 2 minutes, 155.9  to be exact.  If I hadn't stopped for a pull or two, I'd probably have gotten into the 140's.  Maybe.

Need to make longer pulls rowing.  I'm pulling 30 times a minute, and others are doing 20, and going as fast or faster.  Something to improve on.

Now, I did something on accident today, and it was quite wonderful.  You see, all those power cleans, I just kept adding weight and doing them.  I could have gone higher, but ran out of time.... ended up with a 15 pound PR.  Didn't find out it was a PR till I got home.  Pleasant surprise.  I'm all smiles, I can't lie.

Positive enough thought to leave you with.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment