Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Establish Barbell Club

Oh man.  I have a new found respect for the box athletes that do a WOD, and then do extra stuff.  Doing the WOD at 0930 and then waiting till 1900 to do the barbell club, I thought I'd be recoved enough... and to an extent, I was, but today, "the morning after"...I'm sore in more places than I've been sore before, or at least it feels that way. 

There isn't a website for the EBC yet, but I can try to recount what I did to the best of my abilities (I knew I should have written this last night).  The objective... goal... whatever...  What we were working on tonight was snatches, and we broke the form down into pieces.  Everything started with a trusty PVC pipe.  First was the full ground to overhead with the arms locked out.  Then it was overhead squats.  Then it was the snatch balance.  Did this a few times with the PVC, then got out a training bar. 

Training bar was light, I didn't realize it was aluminum until I picked one up for the first time.  #thingsyoulearn  So I do them in sets of 2.  2 ground to overhead, 2 ohs, 2 snatch balances, put the bar down.  We added some weight, repeat a few times.  Ok, now, we're going to do the actual movement.  I did all 3 of the previous movements together, got my first real snatch.  Not to say I hadn't 'done' them before, but this one was much much much closer to what it's supposed to be.  I found that I can go nice and deep on the squat...heck, I hold it at the bottom no less.  Breaking new ground all the time.  First good snatch, and I'm holding a deep squat with a weighted bar overhead...good times.  

Knowing I can do this, I expect my cleans to start looking like cleans, and less like they did in the beginning (read, with little to no squatting).  I still can't do a lot of weight on these snatches.  I mean getting the weight up is easy, but keeping it overhead is my struggle.  I think I stopped at like 75, was having trouble keeping the weight overhead.  Overhead squatting that much weight has been difficult for me.  It's the maintaining balance piece.  I didn't keep track, but I kept trying to fall over at the bottom of the squat or standing up... 3 times?  Never fell over though, brought the bar down in front and used it to keep me stable.  #smallvictories

The rest of the time, we did front squats.  Mobility.  Still working on getting that front rack right.  We bumped the weight up...only 85# or something.  I want to get these both over 100# before the end of the year.  Shouldn't be too hard, but it's going to take some work.  The squat will come quicker I expect.  Much quicker. 

So I'm doing these front squats, and because I have to re-rack the weights to save my wrist, Coach J has me do this arms crossed, hold it with my elbows thing... probably the next step to just having my arms up and have the bar sitting on the shelf... either way...I'm getting them done.  85# is probably too light, but quite frankly, from all the stuff from the morning, my quads were suspect.  3 sets of 8.  In the middle of the second set, my quads start cramping/tightening up.  It sucked.  The last set...oh man.  I didn't really cramp, but man it was hurting.  Got to 5, had to re rack (I tried it from the front rack position again).  Only took a few breaths and then with the arm/underhook bit, finished the set with as much speed and tenacity as I had left.  I wanted to fall over and just lay on the ground....

But I don't do that.  Falling down, laying on the floor, has never been my thing.  Walked it off.  EBC was over.  I hurt, but I'm happier.  I did lifts I absolutely hated, and I got better at them.  Might help me hate them less?  We'll see, I hope so.  My understanding of things will help me, this much I know, or think I know.  Going to have to come back. 

The fallout.  Lets just say, this soreness...ouch.  Parts of my abs hurt that don't normally hurt, my shoulders are sore, my back, my quads...and then that special group of muscles...the glutes.  WOW.  Walking and going up and down stairs, these glutes are just....wow.  Thats all's I can say.  I hope I'm over being sore so I can go tonight.  Hang power cleans, something else I want to get better at, should be a good time.  I think I'm going to go, sore or not.  Tell you all about it soon I hope. 

Cheers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment