Friday, July 11, 2014

Sine Waves

Today has been a bag of ups and downs, very much like a sine wave, I've been all over today.  This might be to be a bit of a long winded narrative, so you may end up needing a bathroom break, or want to go make some popcorn before you get started.   I'm looking out for your best interest here...I mean while you're reading my confessional.  Every once in a while I need to just put it all out there... or something like that.  

0703, alarm goes off.  I have a thing for not doing it on "normal" times like 0700 or 0715.  I like the weirdness, don't hate.  This is early for me.  It's been a few weeks since I've been up this early, or even woken up to an alarm.  Rough life right?  Anyway, I'm getting up "this early" because I've got a check-in with my primary care physician (PCP).  I'm psyched.  Time to see how much I've lost, don't care about the rest of the visit, I just want that scale to be lower than last time. 

It was!  But not by the amount I wanted.  Actually, let me back up a sec.  Around week 7, I went and weighed myself after a WOD.  Apparently I sweat out a lot of weight working out.  I was down to 459 (from 482) when I did that.  At the end of the week, after re hydrating and going to see the PCP, I was back at 465.  Granted this was with more clothes on and what not, so I wasn't terribly upset, I certainly didn't think I gained all that weight back, I knew the after WOD weight might be a suspect weight.

Ok, so now you know the backstory... so I'm comparing my 454 today, to the 459 from week 7 (think we're in week 11 now).  Not so impressive.  My PCP, she was stoked.  11 lbs from her perspective (remember the 465).  Lesson learned here, don't weigh in after a WOD unless you're in a competition.  I'm down 28 lbs according to official records, and I'm on pace to make it 10lbs a month with this next week.  This is a high. 

Do some driving around, get a sweet soccer jersey to frame from a guy who works for my company, but at another campus on west side of KC.  Fun project.  I keep going around KC (435 is a big loop if you've never been to KC).  Get to the south side, and arrive at the New Balance store.  Get the foot measured, guy goes in the back to get the shoe.  Imagine my surprise when they don't have the size in stock.  I'm really not surprised mind you, 14's just don't seem to be in anyones backstock.  Ever.  Closest store doesn't have it either (St. Louis).  They'd have to order it from Boston.  Nah.  This is a low on the day. 

Driving from there to the box, I did a search on my phone for New Balance stores around my new client site.  Two calls later, they're on order, and should arrive in the store next Friday, and be waiting on me the following Monday.  My first week out is going to be good, getting some new gear, and I might be able to find a new box or two, we'll see.  Another high. 

Get to the box, get changed, got the Olys today, they're tight, see if we can break them in a little.  Lo and behold, a few regulars who I haven't been introduced (but know) showed up today for the noon WOD, and they bring co-workers.  I'm pretty sure this is a good chunk (if not all) of the Army recruiters in KC.  All here to do the noon WOD.  In my mind this is about the equivalent to having the top 6 guys from the CrossFit Open (pick one) show up.  Not that I'm competing, but I'm competing.... if you know what I mean.  This is more the middle of the wave, not a high or low. 

Warmups were a little harder than they needed to be.  Jumping rope in Olys isn't the best idea...and it's harder for me than the other shoes were.  #thissucks  I don't do well, and the memory of this will hamper my WOD efforts later.

4 rounds, not for time, 5 front squats @70% 1RM, 5 box jumps.  The squats were great with the olys.  The jumping wasn't bad either, I felt springy today, no trips, no issues.  Funny I can jump (on plates mind you), but I can't jump rope...there is a disconnect somewhere.  My mobility is still not there for the front squats, still to much wrist, even with some stretching.  A few times I had to re-rack to get a better grip.  Overall, solid work on the weights though, we'll call this a high. 

Time for the METCON.  Nasty.  1000m row, then right into 15 thrusters and 30 double unders, thrusters and double unders are repeated 2 more times.  For time.  I was salivating for this 1000m.  I'm looking to beat my previous best of 4:50.  At least I think it's 4:50, I don't have the desire to go look at that post, it's back there somewhere. I cranked out this 1k.  Had to stop a few times just to catch my breath a little.  Final time 4:15.  Yessir.  I don't think I'll ever have a bigger single time jump on the 1000k than this.  Doing a PR dance on the inside, on the outside, stone cold killer face, cause we've still got work to do. 

I didn't realize how much the rowing was going to gas me...well, that and the front squats.  Address my bar, and clean that sucker, go.  5.  Put it down.  I don't know that I needed to, but I had made my mind up that I was stopping every 5.  This just goes to show the importance of being strong mentally... I need to get those mental numbers up.  I get these 15 knocked out fairly easily, and on to the double unders.  My legs are already burning, and now, mentally, I'm talking myself accepting less than an honest effort.  I can't string more than 3 or 4 single together, somewhere around 15, I get mad, I quit, toss the rope down like it did something wrong.  This is clearly another low. 

Second round, it gets worse.  I'm really in my head now.  3 thrusters, bar down.  3 more.  2 more.  2 more.  Done.  I punked out on 5 thrusters.  I'm sucking air, justifying it by saying it is me scaling it.  This is the lowest point of the day for me.  I'm mad at myself for doing it, and I know I'm going to have this frank conversation later... and I still did it.  I'm shamed, but I'm over it.  The DU's?  Yeah, got to 10, quit again. 

Round three.  I get the problem fixed...sorta.  I wanted redemption for only doing 10.  I wasn't going to add 5 and do 20, but I was sure as hell going to do 15.  5.  5.  5.  Done.  Thats more like it.  Now I'm chastising myself for quitting earlier, taking the easy way out.  It wasn't pretty.  I don't remember what I said to myself, but you've probably had a similar conversation at some point, and it probably wasn't worth remembering, or repeating.  The DU's only got to 15 again, so I still quit on myself, but I did better... So still a low moment overall.

Went straight to the car, took the olys off.  My feet can breath.  Put on some sandals...Suzie is right, cooling down is much faster this way.  High point on the wave.  

WOD over, talk to the coaches, cool down, roll out...like drive away, not foam roll.  Funny how word pairs now mean different things.  Anyway, fast forward through work to now, and I'm back to being a flat line of consistency.  Had enough of that up and down nonsense, my natural mood has taken over and life is back to being allllright. 

Started another post, going to be a work in progress for a while, about the tragedy and triumphs of fitness and how it's great.... You see, I got the idea in the shower...I get all my best ideas in the shower, don't know why...no pens in there, can't write them down before I forget them...

Ok, so it wasn't the longest post, or maybe it was...haven't seen a word count tool to verify it either way.  Doesn't matter.   I'll leave you with this:

No comments:

Post a Comment