Sunday, July 27, 2014

Back in action

Well hey there.  It's been a while since I've sat down at written anything, pretty sure thats dust on the keyboard...  Anywho, it's been a crazy couple of days since I last said anything, got a couple of firsts under my belt.  First time I haven't done a WOD in 7 days, first time I lifted that much weight 3x in a row, and the first time I've ever been stuck at an airport overnight. 

Wednesday was a travel day for me this week, was supposed to depart DCA (otherwise known as Regan or National if your not up on the airport scene) at 730, be home by 9 something.  Flight got delayed.  Flight got delayed several times, changed terminals twice, got delayed some more.... A real fun time.  Then, at something approaching 11pm, flight got canceled.  :(

There were those special people...frontrunners, who are more important than you or I.  They ran...and I mean booked it to the ticket counter.  I walked briskly, but I was wearing flip flops...not going top speed in those.  Anyway, long story shorter, got re-booked on a 10am to Charlotte, then home to KC.  Now what?  I happened to be in line with some Gov auditors, and they were frantically calling every hotel around.  Nothing in DC, closest open was in Maryland, no idea how long of a drive that was going to be, said meh, I'll stay up. 

Had I not been in flip flops, I may have gone and walked the capital....had there been showers, I may have just worked out right there.  What else was I going to do?  

So I stayed up like a champ, talked to some folks, played on the laptop, wrote some emails, all sorts of stuff.  0430 comes around and I get to go back through security.  There was a 0530 flight to Charlotte that I tried to get on...there was also a 6, 7, and 9 am, tried to get on those too.  No dice.  At some point, I was sitting by the gate for my 10am flight, I passed out.  Can't tell you how long I was out, not very is my guess....another first. 

Fast forward through the flights, where I tried to sleep as much as possible, got home at 4pm or so... looking at 35 hours of being mostly awake.  Get home, get unpacked, and then I went to EST.  I just wanted to stretch, roll, and otherwise loosen up.  My back was a mess, my body weary, but I hadn't been in a box in days... had to get there.  The WOD on the board was one I was looking forward to doing since the night before when it got posted.  No sleep, and being sore, no chance.  As much as I wanted to do the workout, it wasn't worth the risk of injury, and I know I wouldn't have been giving it 100%. 

Now I should have been rocked, and useless, and I was for the most part, then the download for this beta was finished, and amazingly, I got involved...found a 3rd...or maybe 4th wind.  Was up till 0230.  That made it something like 45 hours, with two little airplane naps of less than an hour as my only sleep.  Crazy, and stupid.  LOL.  Spent the next day and a half recovering. 

It's now Saturday, I'm not 100%, but I feel miles better, and it's time to get that Thursday WOD in during open gym.  What am I so excited about?  Glad you asked. 

Skill/Strength:
Deadlifts, Find Heavy Triple
WOD:
For time-
-Deadlift x 15 reps (using 75% of today’s heavy triple)
-Hand-Release Push-Ups x 30 reps
-Run 800 Meters
-Deadlift x 10 reps
-Hand-Release Push-Ups x 20 reps
-Run 400 Meters
-Deadlift x 5 reps
-Hand-Release Push-Ups x 10 reps
-Run 200 Meters

I found my heavy triple...happened to be a PR too :D  from 275 to 295.  Makes me wonder what my 1RM is going to be next time I chase it.  Getting stronger.  Another thing I'm going to change is my grip.  I've been using what I think of as a traditional grip, and I'm going to try out the... idk what it's called.... just looked it up.  I've been using a double overhand, but want to try out the mixed grip...kept reading that article, maybe I'll stick with... idk.  Coaches?

The rest of the workout is as monstrous as it looks.   I had to break the lifts up more than I wanted to.  Sets of 5, my hands weren't having it any other way, I was using the touch n go technique...if it's a technique...thats how I was doing it, wasn't dropping from the top. 

I was beat up when it was done, did some barbell pushups instead of hand release, those hurt.  7 days feels like 7 weeks.  Can't wait that long again, ever.  

Parting thought, saw just one event of the CrossFit games, and it set the bar for me mentally.  I caught the...power clean ladder?  I think that was it.  345 was the max weight, Froning didn't make the final heat by .9 seconds or something like that... anyway, some of those guys made that weight look light, the bar is set.  This coming 2015 Open is a stretch, but if I'm doing well, we'll see.  6 months, anything can happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment