Thursday, July 17, 2014

My other knee...

Yesterdays workout could have been brutal.  It was bad enough for what it was, but thankfully I had the sense to not grab some weight that would have crushed my soul.  I'll get into that here in a sec.  I wanted to go ahead and point out that I've got a new knee issue.  I think it's because of the oly's I've been wearing this week.  Pain on my left knee now, on the outside...right about where the calf and whatever muscle is on the front of the leg meet.  I think it's the perneus longus muscle that works to "evert and plantar flex the ankle".  And with new shoes, my foot might be sitting differently, so it would make sense that the ankle may be in a different position, and thus this thing is aggravated when I'm in the olys... time to see a professional about that. 

Back to the WOD.  Seemingly a fairly short one if you don't rest too much.  

5 Rounds:
-10 Back Squat (70% 1RM)
Rest 30 seconds
-10 Single Arm Dumbbell Rows (45/35)
Rest 30 seconds
-10 Russian Kettlebell Swings (70/53)
Rest 30 seconds
-10 Dumbbell Shoulder Press (45/35)
Rest 2 minutes


50 reps of each.  The back squat I ended up going lighter on for sets 2-5.  I probably could have done them at the 115, but opted for the 95 after the first set.  I'd rather finish it sooner than later, and I had a feeling re-racks would have been in my future, and that's not what this was going for... I don't think anyway.  

I was under the impression that the dumbbell rows and shoulder press should be done with the same dumbells.  In retrospect, I probably should have asked for clarification.  I can row double what I can press, probably more than double.  I opted for a lighter row weight, but something that was a solid challenge for the press.  20# seems to be that magic number for the press (did I mention it was strict).  
KB swings... I know I said I was going to go up in weight, but I didn't... and I think that was a mistake now.  My swings have gotten ugly.  They don't feel right, I don't feel like I'm moving right...it's just all wrong, and I think a good portion of that is that the weight is just too light...I've gotten too strong.  Good problems to have, but at the same time, it's annoying.  Either way, I'm grabbing the bigger KB for the next swings.  

25:20.  That was my time with some decent rest in there.  I mean it's got close to 15 minutes rest time built in, IF you follow it the way it was written.  I'm pretty sure most people didn't as There were some times of 16 minutes on the board.  Not that I'm judging, I'd like to get to the point I can bang this out at that speed..... dreams, goals, and desires.  

The rest of the WOD was pretty simple.  5 100m sprints on the rower, with a minute rest between each attempt.  My stated goal last post was 18 seconds.  To be honest, I thought I'd beat it easily.  Not the case.  Didn't even hit 18.  Sniffed it once.  My times as I remember them.  19.8, 19.8, 19.9, 19.3, 19.8.  I know the numbers are right, the order might be off in the middle.  Gives me something to shoot for.  I know I held back a little, and it was mainly I size thing.  I didn't want to break the rower trying to pull like Hercules and have the seat slide off one side or another.  

The rest of today is going to be straight rest.  Not even active rest, just going to ice a little, and elevate.  I need to mow soon... guess we'll see about that rest.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment