Monday, July 28, 2014

Show me moar intsensity!

Oh man.  7 days is much too long indeed.  I was sore all weekend, particularly the hammys, a bit in the obliques, and the pecks were tender as well.  Moving along and getting right to the post title, I need help with my intensity...I think.  Let me explain, first with todays WOD:

Rounds for time:
10 Single-Arm DB Snatch 45/35
-2 Lunge Steps w/DB Overhead
-15 Pull-Ups
-Run 400 Meters

Pretty simple really.  For some reason, I read the two lunges w/db overhead, and thought plate... anyway.  DB Snatchs I can do.  Lunges I can do.  DB snatch, then 2 lunges, snatch, 2 lunges, etc...thats another story.  I know I can snatch 45, but can I do it while doing lunges?  I have my doubts, my balance still isn't great, and thats just lunges without weight overhead.  I settled on 30# for my weight. 

Now what I put up above for the WOD, was what was on the website.  "Rounds for time".  Turns out that means 5 rounds.  50 snatches (25 each arm), 100 lunges, 75 pullups, and 2000m or running, or for me, rowing.  For time.  LOL.

I'm not going to go into my struggles today, I'll just tell you they felt pretty substantial.  About halfway in, I noticed everyones lunges touching the ground...didn't know if this was the way it was supposed to be, I'd been trying to stop myself short, I asked.  Coach J said yeah, if you have the mobility for it.  I did.  The first one I did.... the extra stretch on my quads was amazing, and a bit scary at the same time, decided to keep doing them as I had, next time I'll try to get them like that, need a bit more stretching. 

The other experience I had was one of shame...to me.  Well, maybe not shame, but of another eye opening experience.  I'm used to being near the last, but I went to the 5pm class today, with some of the supermen.  These rock stars tend to be around the hours that start with 5.  AM/PM doesn't matter, there are monsters in both classes.  Today I got lapped.  Having folks finish round 5 before I'm done with round 4...  Humbling, but also a great goal to chase.

I finish the workout with the rowing, and I'm rowing harder than I had the whole time, left me gassed.  Chest heaving up and down, think I took a minute on the rower, then went over to some boxes and sat on them for another minute or so.  Feel like I need to throw up...but I haven't eaten anything in hours.  Probably a good thing.  I walk around a little, roll out a little.  Getting better at doing that, but I need to spend more time rolling out than I do I suspect. 

Chilled out for a bit longer, and with the 6pm class getting started on the WOD, I politely excuse myself, say my goodbyes, and roll out (the leaving kind, not foam roll kind).  The whole ride home, I'm having this mental conversation about going faster, and pushing harder.   My dilemma is that I feel like I've got a lot of juice once I leave, like I didn't leave everything on the floor in the box.  I don't know if this is my recovery talking, or if I have more gas in the tank. 

Anyone else experience this? 

Going to take you back to my first days working for QT (Quik Trip) in KC.  I was recently out of training...or maybe at the tail end, and this replacement/stand in assistant manager was making comments about me.  She was like "can't you go faster?"  and "Dan's got one speed, on, or off, nothing in between".  I guess I took it to heart, in 60 days I was promoted to a travel position like her, and 3 months later I was running stores at the ripe age of 19.  Part of the reason was I got a lot faster at getting stuff done. 

Maybe I need this kind of motivation?  I'm not sure, but having had that experience once in my life leads me to believe that I may have another gear or two that I'm just not hitting.  I'm sure some of this still revolves around my breathing, but that can't be all of it, I mean when I'm rowing, it's in and out at a rate of 31 strokes per min....

Any feedback, links, or other comments, as always, are appreciated. 

**Next day edit/addition**
What I forgot to add to my story, the drive home, I'm feeling good, like I could have done more, and then I get home, and I'm suddenly very "ug".  Ug being fatigued, tired, pooped, etc.  It's a challenge to get upstairs to the shower and I'm all wimpy... I don't know if thats normal...maybe the car ride is a "runners high" sort of time for me?  Anyway, just thought that was useful info for anyone thinking of offering a suggestion. 
Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page. training for strongman NOVA CrossFit offers a strength and conditioning program accessible to ANYONE and EVERYONE, regardless of prior experience or fitness level.

    ReplyDelete