Saturday, July 19, 2014

Aba-ka-Tabada

Tabada workouts are something else.  Today was Tabada DU's.  20seconds of activity, 10 seconds rest, 8 rounds.  Half way through, Adrian, whom I haven't really worked with much lately (been going to the morning classes), stopped and asked if step ups would be better, he's checking on me, checking on that knee.  Much appreciated, but we're good here, I'm using a different rope than previous times, the rope is thinner, lighter.  Struggling to get more than 5 or 10 jumps in a row.  I think it's merely adjusting to a new rope.  By the end of the Tabada DU's, my feet hurt, like cramped up hurt.  I blame it on tightening the shoes too tightly.  I had to sit down and take my shoes off for a few minutes, just to get it to go away.  These Asics are toast.  I REALLY hope these New Balance shoes are the ticket.  Might have a blog post about them all by themselves on Monday. 

Alright, so this Tabada stuff, 20 seconds on, 10 off... I can imagine this gets pretty intense with some of the other workouts.  DU's we're a challenge, but I think air squats, burpees, or something else would be worse.  Another vocab word in the books. 

The rest of the WOD was about as CrossFit as it gets.  No weights, no bands, no nonsense.  5 rounds of a 3 minute AMRAP with a 3 minute rest between rounds.  3 Toes to Bar, 6 burpees, 9 KB swings.  I though that the 3 minutes of rest would be sweet... and it was...but those burpees...just like every other movement that has me going ground to standing, wipes me out, and no amount of rest between sets fixes that. 

I had what I thought was a good pace going, about 2 sets per 3 min.  Not an Open speed, but what seemed like a good speed for me.  By the end of the third round, I was beat, and out of water.  The whole time I'm walking over to the fountain to refill my bottle I'm muttering crazy things like I regret the past 9 years (read, the time it took me to gain this weight).  Someone was like don't worry about the past, focus on now and tomorrow.  I hope they didn't see my eye roll.  LOL.  I'm here today to fix tomorrow, but once in a while, I crack jokes about how I got to the place I started at.  The sentiment is still appreciated.  

So my 2 sets per 3 minutes is morning right along....and then we got to the third round.  That finally broke my 2 sets per 3 minutes.  I got through everything but the 9 KB swings.  After rest 3, I get the privileged of picking up where I left off.  I tried to make up some time with the t2b and KB swings.  Didn't quite make it.  I'll save you from reading about my struggles with the burpees, these are well documented.  I did tell Chris that in two years, I'd be able to do box over burpees in faster time than what I was doing today.  We both got a good chuckle.  Ended the WOD with 9 complete sets and 4 additional movements.  Gassed, but happy to be done. 

I didn't capitulate.  Everyone around me is on their backs, sucking air after the workout, but thats just not how I recover... I'm sure it feels great, but I can't bring myself to do it.  Sit down, bend over in front of the fan, lean against the rig...anything but lie down.  Maybe thats just me. 

I'm ready for next week.  New client, new town, and hopefully some new WOD shoes.  The Asics are shot.  I'll let you know.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good stuff and good information here Thanks..Also visit my page. Personal Training Burke NOVA CrossFit offers a strength and conditioning program accessible to ANYONE and EVERYONE, regardless of prior experience or fitness level.


    ReplyDelete