Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Chutes and ladders

Yeah buddy.  The soreness didn't get to me... I actually rolled out when I got to EST, AND I used a lax ball.  If you've read any of my other posts, you should know I hate the lax ball.  With a passion.  Always ended up sore when we'd use it pre-workout warmups/stretching.  Today I craved it.  Found a spot on my shoulder, came back to it a few more times.  It was awesome.  Now...I might have to say I like it. 

So yeah, got to the box nice and early, cause I'm soooore.  I foam rolled and lax balled probably 4x more than I've ever done before.  Glad I did, when it came to warmups, I felt pretty normal as I went through them.  I'd need that feeling before the end.  Workouts with any sort of hitch/stitch/owwwey just aren't any fun. 

Had a new activity in the warm up...well, new to me.  Rowing 100m sprint style.  I didn't have my rower set to count down, and I didn't kill it, but the guy next to me, Weldy, he did.  And he was rowing like a madman.  I mean the back...well, I assume the back came up, I know the front of the rower came off the floor with every pull.  14.6 seconds.  I was in the low 20's, but that's cause it kept going once I stopped....need to figure out how to setup the C2's....  Tomorrow we're all doing it as part of the WOD.  I'm aiming for a time of 18 or less, we'll see. 

Back to today, all stretched out, all warmed up, time to do a 1RM for the power clean.  I thought I had one...maybe it's on Wodify?  Idk, not one in my notebook, so I just started going at 75, and I went up 20lbs at a time from there.  Funny story.  I was at 115# with a 15, and two 10's on each end.  It was getting to be tough, but I was ready for the next 20#.  I take all the weights off, and put on a 45...and another 10.  You see, in my mind, that's where I'm supposed to be at....but thats a 40# jump, not a 20#.  I pull that bar with about all  I've got, and I got it up, AND got my arms under it, but my back was arched like Robin Hoods bow.  I got it, but I'm not sure it counts...I mean it's up, but it's not proper.  Well, after doing it once, I was in disbelief...how did it get so difficult?  I go back and start counting... OOOOH.  Ok, so that's my problem.  I took off the 10's and did the 135#.  MUCH better form, pleased with this.  Claiming this as my 1RM. 

That's done, whats next?  METCON.  It's a nasty one.  Take 75% of that 1RM, and we're doing a 16minute AMRAP of a hang clean ladder.  Lemmie 'splain...actually, let me give it to your from the site:

In 16 minutes, complete as many ladders as possible from 1 to 5 reps of Hang Power Clean, with approximately 75% of your 1RM Power Clean
THE BAR CANNOT TOUCH THE GROUND MID-LADDER.

So 1 rep, bar down, 2 reps, bar down, 3 reps, bar down, 4 reps, bar down, 5 reps.  If you drop the bar while in any set of reps, you start back over at that ladder.

Sound awful?  It was certainly tough.  At first, I was just going to go with 70%... because it was just two plates, but settled on doing it the way it was meant to be, 75%...so I added 2.5# to each side...not a big deal to you maybe, but just doing that, making it right, rather than close enough...another positive step.  #mentalgames #stopcheatingyourself

I got through with 5 ladders, plus starting the sixth.  76 reps of hang cleans at 100#.  Not terrible.  Some guys, broke their ladders, only ended up with like 40 reps... felt bad for them a little.  Bout this much actually  |--|  Having more counted reps, and beating people who normally own me, yeah, I'll take that. 

Not much else to say at the moment...it's 1:19AM, and I think I'm just tired...lollygagging...and not really moving this story forward.  Catch you later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment