Friday, June 26, 2015

I think I saw Fran smile today.

My first CrossFit workout was FRAN...  This is a little over a year since then, and I think this is only the second time that I've done it.  A lot has changed, but some things have stayed the same.  About 45 lbs lighter than the first time... and I put most of that weight back on the bar I did thrusters with, but more on that in a minute. 

Today was the first day it wasn't nasty hot outside.  Got to the box early, had a good conversation with Madison.  She upped my calories, I'm excited for 400 extra calories.  LOL.  Been doing well, but there are always ways to improve on what your eating.  I didn't talk to her about how I've been feeling so tired and run down all week.  I hope it's just bad sleep, the apnea and the like... and not something more sinister. 

After talking with Madison, I spent the next 40 minutes stretching and otherwise getting ready for FRAN.  Lots of things I don't normally do... got some extra banded stretching in, foam rolled for the first time in forever, some extra rowing... just a lot of little things.  Then got into the warmup a bit.  15 barbell thrusters.  Did them unbroken... but it was taxing.  Then my knee got tight.  Something it hadn't done in a while.  Talked with Brian (who needs to take a vacation, somebody talk to him), and then used a therapy wrap thing.  Did some air squats, did some knee bends, took the wrap off, and it felt better.  Good enough to keep going.  Added some more wight, did some more thrusters... I'm ready on this front. 

First time I did jumping pullups to a lower bar at CFDS.  I remember taking the time to pull with my jump.  I could have just bounced and pulled, but I wanted to try to pull as much as I was able, so I slowed down to do that.  Today would be no different.  Feel like it would be a cheat to myself if I just bounced into these.  Gotta earn it baby.  Anyway, moving on, the bars at On Track aren't low enough to jump, and Brian has another method anyway.  For him, jumping pullups are to rings, set about 6" above your head.  You extend your arms fully by lowering your body, and then, you jump and pull.  Shit is a lot harder than I thought it would be, and I made an effort to not bounce, just like the first time.  I did pretty good at it.  I can say that because at first, I was jumping high and pulling and able to get my chin over the top of the rings.  By the end, I was lucky to get my face between the rings. 

So, without further delay, we start.  95lb thrusters.  Damn.  I thought after 15.5 that 95lbs wouldn't be that bad.  Man o man I was wrong today.  10-5-6 was how they broke down.  It wasn't super pretty, but it was with decent form and speed.  I wasn't the last one to the rig, how bout that.  The jump pullups were awkward, and I wasted a ton of time resetting after each one.  Finally, got them done, on to the 15.

Let me stop here.  For those of you who may read this in the future and randomly stumble onto this particular post... #fran is one of the benchmark "girls" workouts of #CrossFit and consists of 21-15-9 of thrusters and pullups (YouTube either if you need a visual).  REALLY good people, get it done in under 3 minutes (arguably under 2:30).  Pretty good people are probably in the 3-5 minute range, and anything over that time means you're likely a mortal being, and thats ok. 

Back to Fran.  I had delusions of grandeur.  I though, gee, 5-5-5 sounds great.  The first 5, struuuuuuuugled not to drop the bar.  Second 5, I had an arched back, elbows pointing down... just crappy form, but I did them.  Last 5 didn't happen.  Went 2-3.  They were even uglier than the first sets.  I looked at the clock, ticking over 6 minutes... yup, still mortal.  The rings got suckier.  Thought the 5-5-5 would work there too.  Nope.  Don't remember the exact breakdown, but it wasn't very many strung together... and that makes some sense with the fact I wanted to reset so I wasn't just bouncing. 

By the time I started the last set, I was nearly the last one doing them.  I'd heard Brian yelling "elbows up" during the last set, I assumed he was yelling that at me... but this time, I knew he was.  As soon as I got the bar, I heard him say it again, this time with a ", Dan" at the end.  LOL.  He wasn't the only one yelling encouraging things.  Two guys I'd never met, standing just off to my right, saying the same stuff.  "Alright now, elbows up baby, you got this".  And I did have it.  I didn't drop the elbows down much, and nothing like they were in the middle set.  Broke this one down into 5-4.  The last 4 were tough.  Relied on the coaching from days past.  "Lift with your elbows" and "Stand up with your elbows first" in my ear.  Funny thing is, as tired and deep as I was into the workout, these were probably 4 of the best thrusters I'd done.  Good form is funny like that. 

Not much to say on the last of the jumping pullups.  I noticed that when I pulled the rings went wider each time, and I didn't go near as high as I had in the beginning.  *shurg*  One final pull, and I was done.  10:21.  My Wodify account is currently inactive, so I can't tell you where I was when I first did it.  Memory tells me that I used 10lb plates and finished in over 11 minutes.  This time, I did it with 25lb plates, and did it in less time.  For as rough a week as I've had, I'll take this just about any day. 

Knee is tight now as I write this, going to take some NSAIDs, prop it up, see how it does in the morning.  I expect tomorrow will be an active rest day, consisting of push moving and other yard work, but we'll see.  Looking forward to stopping by CF Soulshine next week, hopefully making a good impression, and then getting to work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment