Wednesday, July 1, 2015

CrossFit Soulshine

Been a busy couple of days.  New client, new city, new state.  Doing this as a two part blog, in a one post update... strange.  I stopped by CrossFit Soulshine tonight, wanted to get the waiver and any other business stuff out of the way.  Met the 7pm coach.  Yes, folks, the do have 7pm classes.  And with the Soulshine policy of only having 12 athletes per coach (max), it makes sense they'd have one more class than a "normal" box. 

First impression... wow.  place looks super clean, super new, and they've got a "lounge" area.  Unlocked has something similar, but not quite on this scale.  It looks like it can double as a place with reasonably aged kids, not quite as little kid friendly, but thats neither here not there.  Really though, and this is by design, it looks inviting, and less intimidating.  It's not like your typical box that is wall to wall rubber floors, and I'm sure that puts plenty of folks at ease. 

Just a little more about the facility, then I'm going to get off here, need SOME sleep tonight.  They have this thing on the wall



People can buy protein shots for their shaker bottles, how cool is that?  Some of the other things I saw.... not the typical line around the box for wallballs, with above being mens, and below being womens.  Instead, they have decals, and they look TALLER than the stinking lines I'm used to seeing.  Crazy.  Other things that we're different to me... they have quite a few competition plates... I've never used them before, so I'm a little giddy about that.  The other thing, they have these "soft" boxes for their box jumps.  6", 12", 20" and maybe one over that.  so you can mix and match to get what you need.  I'm actually stupid excited about these.  I'm going to get over my box jump phobia a 6" jump at a time.  #cantwait


****************************************************************************
Day 2...or rather 3.

Alright.   Finally made it to Soulshine, day later than I meant to.  Even took another guy I worked with.  Dudes name is Mike.  I thought he was just a regular dude who'd done CrossFit... na, he moved like an athlete.  Watched him power clean 115 like it was nothing, quick elbows and what not... I was like get the heck out of here.  I'm getting ahead of myself. 

Head coach and owner stuck around for our class, introduced himself.  Another Dave... hope he's as cool as Dave P is.  I think he wanted to see the new guy, size me up himself.  I didn't disappoint.  Pretty sure I impressed him a little.  LOL. 

Tonight was a very straightforward workout.  Did a strength part, building to a heavy weight doing a front squat, push press, thruster.  I didn't have a heavy thruster weight on my list of goal, didn't have any weight though.  I decided to aim for 135.  Simple enough.  Under the watchful eyes of Dave and Carmen, I worked my way up.  I don't know why I stopped there to be honest.  It was easy enough, I probably could have done more, but I'm tired... like real tired.  All this brain work is draining as heck.  I can't remember ever doing a thruster at 135, so I took it for being the PR that it was.  Oh, and did I mention the comp plates?  Felt like driving a newer rental... I'm a nerd, whatever. 

Moving on... the nasty part of the night.  20 minute EMOM, 4 movements, 5 rounds.  DU's, clean and jerk at a weight, calorie row, OHS.  With the OHS being the limiter, I punked out of 95, and did 75.  I'm tired, it's late, I'm not going to go into all the sweat and hustle, I'll bullet point it. 
  • The jumping was good, then bad, then real bad, then ok.  I need to look into the exact length of that RX rope at On Track, bite the bullet and buy it.  Better gear might just lead to better results.  
  • The clean and jerk was laughably easy.  I like that, but I wish I could have had a second bar so I could have put up more weight.  
  • There were 6 rowers, 6 athletes, 3 on each side of some GHDs.  I dominated my side.  Only think I beat my guy Mike in.  I could see the disbelief every time he looked at my numbers.  It's a small victory, but I'll take it.  
  • The OHS sucked.  After a calorie row, I'm gassed.  It sucked the whole time.  Best I did was 3 good ones.  
I did not keep a good count... I know I have over 50 calories rowing, but thats the only number..... so guesstimate was 150.  No idea what anyone else got, I'll take it for what it was, a good workout for my first WOD in a new box.  

No comments:

Post a Comment