Thursday, June 4, 2015

Staying focused.

I didn't.  At least not the whole night.  You don't stay focused, mentally in the game, you're going to miss your lifts at the minimum, get hurt, or worse.  Not to paint such a doom and gloom picture up front.  I'm not hurt, or worse... but I did miss a lift.  More on that in a minute. 

I cherry picked yesterday.  Was even brash about it, showed up to the box in street clothes.... but really, it's a better place to be than in a hotel room.  Dave gave me a hard time today.  "Rule number 1 is never leave your shorts" or something like that.  LOL.  Fair points, but it was enough wrist stuff that I didn't want to do, and then try to do today stuff.  Eh.  

Didn't much like the warm up today, single unders, step ups, air squats.  So I let my mind wander.  Struggled with dang near every jump.  No focus.  Problematic.... could be why my jumping has sucked for a while now... could be that I'm not paying enough attention to the here and now.  #focusDanielson

It's leg day... and friends don't let friends skip leg day right.  2x2x2x2x2 of back squats, ascending weight, and ring rows between sets.  I was going to work with Dave, asked him what he was aiming for.  175.  Sounds good to me.  We paired up with Norman and Randy as well.  Time to rock and roll.  Started at 115, then added two 25's, then we added more stuff.  I never watched the weight, I was busy focusing on my new bar placement.  Ever since Dave pointed out that I was too high wit the bar, I've been trying to get lower... it still feels different.  Guess thats how it is when you've been doing it one way for a year.  Towards the latter rounds, everyone else was struggling to hit parallel, but we kept adding weight.  The last round, I went down, popped up well enough, but I didn't get a good starting position on the bar.  I could feel it, I knew it wasn't right, but I went back down for the second rep.  And I paused at the bottom... like I typically do... and then I started pitching forward... and not the forward combined with upward.  Ditched the bar.  Had too, it was going to push me forward and in my mind, bad things were about to happen. 

I can't say it was a lack of focus at the bottom... maybe... could have been a lack of conviction or purpose too.  Don't know.  I haven't dumped many bars, so it's always bit of a surprise when it happens.  I was irritated, I walked away, limping a little, but I don't think that had anything with the squat, or the bail... just sore.  By the time I come back, they've got a calculator out tabulating the weight.  LOL.  There are 6 plates on each side of the bar, so I guess it makes sense.  235.  Explains why they all struggled, I'm pretty sure it's well over most of their PRs.  Dave and I looked at each other... so much for 175.  HAHA.  Only 30 lbs from my PR, and thats with a new lifting position/hold.  Guess I can't be too upset.  Need to do more squatting though...

METCON was a doesy, and the reason I wanted to hit todays workout and not yesterdays.  Easier to copy and past it this time:

5-4-3-2-1
Overhead Squats 135Lb
Toes To Bar 
Followed By 25 walking Lunges
Into...
5-4-3-2-1
Power Snatches 135Lb
Box Jumps 30in
Followed By 30 Walking Lunges
Into...
5-4-3-2-1
Bent Over Rows 135Lb
Bastards 
Followed By 35 Walking lunges

 I went with 75 instead.  I might have been able to do 95, but the OHS for 20 times, after all the other squats... I wasn't very focused, I chose the 75.  Glad I went with 75.  Second set, I lost the bar... well, I lost the lock out over head, and brought it down while in the squat.  Toes to bar the whole time was getting the knees above parallel.  I keep meaning to bring this trial size of wod wax, supposed to make it better... maybe next time.  The lunges sucked.  Burn... and it's only the first set. 

Second set didn't make it any easier.  Power snatching... feel it in the quads.  Box jumps, or step ups... quads.  The burn!  Kept up with everyone, or so I thought I was doing.  The snatches... need work, even at 75 lbs.  Felt like I was doing a snatch press... I'd get it overhead, then press while locking out.  Doesn't feel right...maybe it is.  The snatch is a weird movement, very unnatural feeling.  Moving on, but first, the lunges... started trying to talk myself out of doing more.  Almost did it too.  Legs hurt... oh yeah, it's leg day. 

Third set, the bent over rows.  Light, easy.  The bastards, after first one, I didn't want to get in anyone's way.  Did burpees instead, no bar jumps.  Crowded box, going over the bar would have meant slowing down, giving faster people the right of way.  I'm a nice guy like that.  The last set of lunges... I wanted to quit.  4 times I wanted to quit.  No one would have known.  But I kept going.  Last one.  16:43.

Still glad I picked this one over Wednesday.  Spent plenty of time stretching and trying to loosen up.   Dave made an excellent point, going to be a long flight tomorrow, he's got one too, he knows.  :)  Stretching, and more stretching.  Time for some sleep though, need to pack up most of the things, then get to bed.  Short night coming up.  Apologies for any spelling/grammar mistakes, keyboard has been giving me fits tonight.  :P


No comments:

Post a Comment