Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Hammys got tight.

Today was a good day.  Got out of work early (had a "family dinner" with the work folks), so I got to the box early.  Place is REAL busy from the 4pm class.  Had to start 5pm a little late, and do some of the warmup outside.  Actually, the first thing we did was a quick rowing competition.  I got some girl Dave P called K-Rod.  Never did get her government name.  Teams of two, row 200m then switch, for a total of 1200.  So 3 times each.  Was right next to big bad Brian DeLeon.  Box legend.  Typically the first guy down with the WOD, at Rx.... guys a stud.  No pressure right?  We sprinted.  I never row over 30 pulls a minute, don't get enough return on it to make it work the extra air.  I'm trying to tell you I'm usually economical.  Not today.  I kept it around 35.  Big pulls.  Still couldn't keep up with Brian.  I'd give it one last pull at the end, usually near the _80m, and it would carry it over (always has) the 200m, and then I pop tall.  K-Rod... monster.  She's pulling 40+ pulls a minute.  She is probably the reason we stayed in it.  In the end, we lost.  Brian and his partner got 1200 in 4:03, we hit it in 4:07.  Not a terrible time mind you.  A lot of people would be happy with a 1k of 4:07.  Not sure if anyone else was close, felt like a two team race. 

Did some skill work tonight.  Snatch balance.  Hate the snatch balance, but I do see the value in it.  We were doing 6, with a 3 second hold at the bottom, add weight if you can.  I only added 20lbs (10lb plates to each side).  Dropped the bar once... not happy about that, but I feel like this went better than the last time I did it.  I left my feet for the drop, didn't used to do that.  Confidence maybe? 

Weight piece was a complex, I'd like to do it again, soon maybe.  Squat clean, front squat, the a split jerk.  I don't get wide enough (my feet) on the jerk... not. even. close.  Don't do it enough, prefer the push jerk.  Didn't go super heavy, ended up with 145 from the 6 round EMOM (the 2 minute variety).  There were a quite a few in the 5pm class too... someone ended up swiping one of my 10lb bumpers... So I had one on the bar, and the other one grew legs.  LOL.  Oh well, things happen.  Would have posted a better weight with that, but it's ok, the complex trained the wrist a bit, so maybe I should just be grateful for that walking plate eh?

METCON was a nasty thing.  800m row, 60 DU's 40 wall balls, 20 chest to bar pullups.  The row was easy enough, 3 minutes and change.  The double unders turned into singles... and it took me a while to do 60 (the scale option was 180 singles).  I really need to take the time to practice those.  I struggle stringing together 10+.  Maybe it's an issue of focus.  I hit 60...ish, and moved over to the wall balls.  These sucked.  Worse than normal.  I'm sticking with my resolution to use the 20lb ball at all times now, but being the first set in a while, almost since 15.2 (or was it 3? ).  It was uncomfortable, unforgiving, and unfun.  I started in sets of 5, then it got down to 2's and 3's.  I wanted to quit on them early, I really did, should say almost did.  Ticket showed up for the 6pm, and yelled what I thought at the time was a badly pronounced version of my last name (turns out he was yelling at someone else all together), but it was enough that I forced myself to finish.  Chest to bar pullups ended up being those fantastic ring rows.  I sandbagged these bad boys.  I was tired, thats my excuse.  And when I say sandbag, I mean I wasn't even standing under the bar when I leaned back... so I made it a lot easier... and I STILL had to break it up eventually into 2's and 3's... so maybe it was the right call.

My wrist hurts as I write this.  Not bad mind you, but enough.  Didn't get to ice it after, I took off to go make the dinner in time.  All that sitting from the box to the hotel to the dinner site... didn't cool down properly, hamstrings are tighter than they should be.  We'll see about tomorrow.  Lots of wrist work... might just chill, pick it back up Thursday.  #wellsee   

No comments:

Post a Comment