Saturday, January 24, 2015

33 random facts in honor of my birthday

Following in the footsteps of another blogger who's work I enjoy.  His birthday is right beside mine, he started CrossFitting right before I did, so this just kinda makes sense.  That, and I'm still a little beat up from Thursday, and I don't have a WOD to talk about... I did go get measured and got a new food plan at On Track on Friday (need to read a Zone book now)....

On to the 33 random (weird, crazy, interesting?) facts about me... we'll see how strange this gets.   

  1. I'm an Army brat.  Born and lived the first 8 years of my life in Germany.  Didn't get to learn much German, they didn't start teaching it till the year I we left (after the Berlin Wall came down).  The German I do know, I got off of a few weeks of free Rosetta Stone. 
  2. Sports strikes kill me.  94-95 baseball strike is where it all started.  I LOVED the Kansas City Royals.  TV wasn't all that big into baseball back then, but I'd watch when I could, listen to the radio a lot.  Then the strike happened.  Being a kid, I still wasn't aware of the money and politics of sports, so it crushed me when they stopped playing because of money.  I was very naive (still am).   So now, when sports strike, I lose interest very quickly.  NBA was going so well after 08, then poof, over it again.  NFL hasn't been the same since their strike either... 
  3. Speaking of the NFL, I hate the commercials.  3+ hours to watch a game that takes 60 minutes of clock...  Ain't nobody got time for that.  
  4. I love soccer.   Chelsea FC, Sporting Kansas City, US Mens National Team, German National Team, Bayern Munich, US Womens National Team, FC Kansas City.  Those are the teams I follow, in that order.  
  5. The left lane is the fast lane.  It's for passing and faster traffic.  Don't drive the speed limit in it.  Don't pass people going 1mph faster than the person you're "passing" in it.  
  6. Turn signals.  They aren't optional equipment on cars.  Use them please.  
  7. I record several shows on DVR, and then don't watch them for weeks or months later.  NCIS New Orleans is playing now, just finished the Halloween episode... 
  8. Entrepreneurism.  I've got the disease.  I want to be rich/successful, and have so much coming in that my full time job would be to give it away to others.  #philanthropy
  9. I've had some 20 plus jobs, in several fields, my current job is the longest time I've stayed in one place.  
  10. Clothes.  I currently only shop at two stores thanks to my large size.  I'm very ready to be back to shopping wherever a sale is.
  11. Water.  Until starting CrossFit, I was a water snob.  I would always buy VOSS, preferably in the glass bottles, then plastic if I had to.  After that it falls off to Fiji, then Smart Water, and a few others.  Now I drink so much water that I don't care near as much about the taste.  Deer Park is my go to in DE. 
  12. I judge Mexican eateries based on their nachos.  That shouldn't make sense to about 98% of the people who read this.  
  13. I've never had a hangover.  Granted, I don't drink often, at all, but when I do, it's copious amounts, and I wake up fine.  
  14. I have a forehead dimple.  It's not something I can flex or anything on demand, so I don't have a picture of it to share, but it's there, and the day you see you'll be like aaaaah, thats what he's talking about. 
  15. I can't roller skate.  Bought a pair of roller blades before ever knowing how to use them.  Super scuffed up now, fell down a lot, but I still own them.  Maybe on day I'll figure it out
  16. I have flat feet, think they were inherited from my pops.  
  17. While I'm not fearless with my food, I have tried some interesting things.  I've been fed deer heart before.  Even had a peanut butter and tomato sandwich.  Favorite thing is this pizza available in Anchorage Alaska, place called Mooses Tooth.  Place is known for thier craft beers, but the pizza is great too.  My favorite is one called Amazing Apricot.  http://moosestooth.net/menus/pizzas/
  18. I'm the oldest of the next generation of my family.  I've been as much an inspiration, as a warning of what not to do. 
  19. I hate cats, yet it's the only animal in our house.  As soon as the traveling stops, dog is going coming home.  German Shepard, a G. Shepard mix, Belgian Malinois, or a straight up mutt. 
  20. Video games are my favorite hobby, for better or worse.  
  21. My genetic past includes Russian nobility, German nobility, and an American President.  
  22. I've got a vivid imagination.  Makes empathizing with people easy.  Also makes me seem crazy.  I see people in other people... like the last Rocky movie, Rocky Balboa.  Even though it's Sly Stallone on my screen, his mannerisms, movements, charms... all remind me of my father.  When he passes, that movie will become harder to watch. 
  23. Broke my ankle warming up for a rescheduled soccer game.  Then it rained on me.  Was soaked before halftime.  
  24. Alarm clocks, I set mine at random times.  I don't have a good explanation, for it, but one day, about 12 years ago, I set it to 703 or something like that.  Trend has been that way every since. 
  25. Not ashamed to admit that I love sci-fi.  I don't necessarily love everything in the genre, but I can get down on some Star Trek or Star Wars. 
  26. I play well with others.  In the Cub-Scouts while in Germany, we got to play on actual military tank sims as a troop.  Having some natural leadership traits, I got to be the tank commander for one of the machines.  Another kid had issues... wasn't having fun, or something, and I switched the best role in the tank, for becoming the driver.  I'm a nice guy.  
  27. Hair.  I've got it everywhere, except my head... it's falling out of there.  Every other haircut I have to make sure I trim the 'edges'.  I've got hair that comes out of my ears, and if I don't get it every other time, it gets long, quickly.  I don't get it.  
  28. I've never smoked anything.  Been around several things, worked with smokers, etc.  Never tried it.  Think it stems from the fact I got made fun of as a kid in Germany.  My mom was a smoker, and she'd smoke while doing laundry, so my clothes would smell and I got teased.  After a few times, I think I broke down in front of my mom, crying about how I was getting made fun of.  She quit cold turkey the next day.  As a child, I had no idea that was what it was... 
  29. Spent most of my formative life in the small town of Tonganoxie Kansas.  Ton-guh-nox-E... or at least thats how I'm phonetically spelling it out.  YouTube has several videos where people say it.  Here is one from some guy who won big on Wheel of Fortune. 
  30. Sleep with a fan on.  It's part white noise, part breeze.  Even have a fan with me when I travel, I leave it at the work site while I'm home.  
  31. Haven't watched the news in probably 5 years.  I get most of my stories from the internets.  Goes back to the commercials, and then the slant of the news stories.  I miss the free press.
  32. Grammar and spell checking... I hated English as a subject in school, yet here, years later, I'm critical of everything I read.  "Thats spelled wrong".  "It's your, not you're".  Make since?  Of course I meant make sense?  I see it everywhere, drives me nuts.  The kicker. I don't proofread this blog ever, and I know I make mistakes... maybe put this on some sort of resolution list.  
  33. Last one,  I prefer wired to wireless.  It's dumb really, but when I'm home, I prefer things to be wired.  Fun fact, after the move, I haven't wired up a single thing in my house.  No Cat 5 or 6 cables anywhere.  #contradiction
Ok, that was both challenging, and kind of fun.  Didn't get too strange.  I think I'm Divergent.  Anyway, be back in few days with more WOD stories and adventure as I keep moving forward in this CrossFit journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment