Monday, May 19, 2014

Rinse and repeat...

So....it's been over a month of this blog stuff...and I keep harping on a few things.  Form, eating right, sleep, being on time, cheering folks on, etc.  I've had a "do as I say not as I do" day.  Aside from eating and a few high fives, today was a train wreck.  Let me explain...

I'm doing some remote "go-live" support this week.  So I keep the same hours as the day shift at my client site, but I stay home instead of there.  I get up earlier than I'd like...not that I'll complain, cause some of you are up before 5 on the regular.  This schedule though, has impacted my sleep schedule...I'll be going to bed earlier tonight.  Need to grab the extra on the front end this week instead of the back like usual.  Working 6a-6p.  Left a little early tonight, wanted to make sure I got to my 6:30p WOD on time.  Funny thing...the WOD is at 6 on M-W-F.  6:30 on T-Th.  Ooops.  Didn't check the schedule, so I was promptly 30 minutes late... great English there right?  HA!

So, I'm 30 minutes late AND I get to meet a new coach.  Introduced myself to Jordan Williamson...the first picture  you see here at the lovely CFE site (http://www.crossfitestablish.com/trainers/).  Nice guy, but this is my first time meeting him... not the first impression I'd have liked to have made... on to the WOD that I did do:

Skill/Strength:
Back Squat
Weighted Chin up
Close Grip Bench Press

WOD:
12 Min Clock
Row 50 Calories
Then AMRAP
9 Wall Balls 11′/10′ 20/14#
7 Toes to Bar
5 HSPU
30 Double Unders

The row was actually due bore the 12 min clock started, 50 calories isn't so bad, but at the same time it's effort driven, not time or distance, so it messes with you (or at least me) a little bit.  I find when I'm rowing, I still tire out fairly quick, but I get that strong sprint at the end.  I mean I start rowing with a real purpose at the end... I should try to start this way too...should bring my times down all around.

AMRAP time.  Here is another place I need to put some extra "oompf" into.  Push a little harder, dig a little deeper when I'm trying to suck in air...I'm sure I'll be telling you how I've started doing it shortly.  Not today though, 2 nights of boo boo sleep, was trying to put in a solid effort with that I had.  More on that in a sec.

Wall balls, toes to bar, hand stand pushups, double unders.  Got coaching on 2/4...or 1/2 for you math people...  My wall balls, which I hadn't really done since Elements...a few times I apparently "shot" the ball, Coach J came by and reminded me the fundamentals of the movement, instant improvement in my form.  I take a small bit of pride in being coachable...and I try to show it.  Why work against the best way to do it?  Toes to bar is still a pain in the butt...or rather shoulders.  There is less of me hanging around these days, but it's still a lot a weight for those.

HSPU's...I was going to try to use a box today, but I didn't have it.  So I took the princess pushup position.  Banged out my 5...arms still shake at the end.  Coach J comes over again.  My arms are flared out to the sides, like I've seen push-ups done for a while.  Man says tuck those arms in...not sure why, is it to better mimic the HSPU, or is this an effort to make these that much harder?  I smile and nod that I hear him, and acknowledge the tutelage.  I'm a bit gassed already, so talking isn't real high on my must do list... double unders... I will conquor these sooner than later, as it is, I asked for a modified form earlier, I'm really babying the knee, it's been feeling real good for about 15 hours, I'm hoping to keep that going (I've already iced and taken some Advil for the evening, I expect good things).  So rather than a full box step up, I'm doing a modified one over a 45lbs plate.  Movement is similar to a double under in that you're not super high of the ground, and it's done at a quick rate, like a double under... up down up down up down...well, picture stepping up and then over to the other side....

Round two saw immediate improvements.  My wall balls looked like...well, like wall balls.  Toes to bar is getting better, I'm getting stronger.  Used to be I'd go flat footed on the ground then back up, now I'm hanging more, and I just let the tips of the shoes touch before it's back up.  Little bits at a time.  The pushups...I know what he was trying to do...and yeah, pinning the elbows in, it's a lot more difficult.  I did it though.  The step over plate things...not much to change.  Again.  Faster. 

Rinse and repeat...

I don't know if I got to my 3rd or 4th set by the time we were done.  I'd like to say it's 4, makes me feel better, but I'm not sure.  Sucking wind, a few high fives and I'm looking  back at the board.  Coach J gives me a high five, we chat a little, I'm like yeah, I need to get going on the weights, he tells me the equivalent of you've done enough today.  I must really look rough.  I don't argue, I know that I can do it, but that doesn't mean I should.  Chat a bit with Andy while he's there, usual stuff.  Andy's got something on his mind, he seems distracted.  I didn't stay around long enough to dig deeper, but I hope he gets it taken care, that things work out sooner than later.

I "read" people.... you'll see that here and there, no disrespect intended if you end up on this, not trying to put your stuff out here, just putting my thoughts out there, and they include you.  It's a compliment, I think enough of you to share you with others.  Can't keep the best people to myself.  Like this:  Happy Anniversary to coaches Andy and Laura Paller from CrossFit Diamond State.  Also Happy Anniversary to Dustin and Jessica Simmons, also from CFDS...if you remember, Dustin and I did that partner WOD a few weeks ago.  I miss you guys.  I'll be back before you know it, and the folks out here at Establish are treating me well.  Seems I'm 2 for 2 in picking boxes (I've had help).

Alright, it's already later than I want it to be (read, more lack of sleep...), but I'm going to bring the noise (probably sounds like weezing) to the WOD tomorrow night (this one IS at 630).  I know there is a 400m run... no excuses. 

Have a good one, catch you tomorrow,

TCN

2 comments: