Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Conditioning, character, and the cookie monster.

Story time...something is always going on in my life, so I've got lots of stories... This blog for instance, normally would have been written by midnight on Monday... but life had other plans.  My laptop screen cracked on the plane ride on Monday, so I can use this at work with an external monitor and keyboard, but not at the hotel...so I'll be writing this during breaks through the day.  This might turn into a longer than expected one, so it could be challenging. 

The weekend update:

I had a modeling session on Sunday.  LOL.  Modeling...sorry, I laugh, but at the same time, thats what I was doing.  I wanted to change the profile pic, and the pic that shows up when you fine people share this on Facebook and Google +.  So I decided to hoodie it up in 80 degree weather, and take pictures with a barbell.  Probably have something drawn up in a few weeks, since I'm only really working on it during the weekends.  Anyway, the point of all this is that I did a squat, I thought it was a fairly decent one, and the picture that came out...I'm not even close to parallel...not sure if it was the soreness, pain, or the fact that I'm really not where I think I am.

Monday:  Well you know about the laptop now...the plane...well first, the sleep, sucked, so I'm tired, slept nearly the whole flight.  Would have made it all the way had the flight attendant not been a jerk and woke me up.  Some rules that are selectively enforced...like shades being open for takeoff and landing...I understand  (or think I do) why that one is there, but it's enforced once out of ever 50 flights I go on... *shrug*

Getting to be the same ol' same ol' with the knee being sore up until I pull into CrossFit Diamond State... then it's fine.  I can't say I understand it, but I'm happy it's golden when we start, particularly with the 12 week squat regiment we're on.  

WOD today, warm-up, lots of stretching and foam rollers...very different from what I'm used to, but different doesn't mean bad, I can appreciate the change of pace.  Lifting today, back squats and front squats.  After the picture fiasco above, I was concerned with the form.  Sharing a squat rack with Craig, I asked him several times during back squats if I was looking right.  For the most part I was, so I'll take it, think there is a lesson in here about warming up...

Front squats.  Wodify suggested I could do more than my back squats (generally not the case for you new people), so I tried.  And I did..."eeeeh" on it.  To give you an idea of "eeeh", watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmmx93odvdo  It's "eeeh" because my form sucked.  The squat was ok, but I was holding all the weight with my wrists, so now they're sore...or something.  They hurt, how bout that.  So I took almost all the weight off the bar for my last 2 sets, and focused on holding it right.  My squats looked MUCH better, and I was holding the bar more like I was supposed to.  FORM MATTERS is what I'm getting at.  I mean it's cool if I can squat 400lbs about 6" right?  I'd rather get 65lbs all the way down and up and have that full range of motion, and I'm pretty sure the coaches would agree.  That and 400lbs front squat would probably have me flat on my back with broken wrists... working on getting more mobility, not less.  Savvy?

METCON--
5-4-3-2-1 squat clean, bastards.  I think I might need to work on my form a little, I tend to stand all the way up before I get under the bar... questions for a coach.  Anyway, this is a simple squat clean (YouTube it) 5 times, then you do the bastards.  Burpee, hop the bar, burpee, hop the bar (1), and you do as many as you did for the squat cleans.  See why they are so aptly named?  Burpees are the bane of my existence.  Go to Google, do an image search for burpees ____  and in that blank space put things like love, hate, suck, meme.  If you've ever done one, just one burpee, you'll laugh at most of what you see.  

I've been told by many different people from many different area's of my life that I have great character, and I'm a man of integrity.  I try to live up to these expectations as much for myself as for others.  Character, to me, is who you are when the lights are out and no one is watching.  How you handle yourself when you can get away with stuff.  Last night I didn't display the best character.  I cheated myself on my burpees, because I wanted to finish earlier.  I'm sure if you asked me what number I was on at the time, I'd have been breathless and unable to answer.  I scaled my workout without getting the go ahead from my coach, whom I respect greatly, and I felt bad about it afterward...or am feeling bad about it now.  I'm going to chat up the coaches tonight, see about making a sort of "swear jar" for my burpees.  Something I come back and do on lighter day, or even an off day.  My thought is that once I lose say, 40/50lbs, I pay back all the scaled/missed burpees.  I'm at 10 right now, so I may just do it tonight, we'll see. 

Speaking of respect, show up on time.  Being on time show's respect for your fellow athletes, your coaches, and yourself.  I'm not sure why I feel the need to mention it, but it's one of those unwritten/sometimes written rules you need to follow.  I learned it from my boy Taran.  On more than on occasion, this man has been like "I gotta go, catch you later."  Every time he ditched me, he was going to his box,  he had to be there on time.  Maybe he had to do burpess or something for every minute he was late?  I'll have to ask.  Either way, I didn't get why he had to be there on time till I started doing this myself....  you new people, be on time, you'll thank me later.

3 last things, then I'm done, I promise. 

Reached out and may have found a box in KC.  CrossFit Establish is the name, I'll let you know more as we go. 

Finished a full day of Paelo eating.  Going to consult with my peoples about supplementing nutrition shakes as between meal "snacks". 

Story time.  Got back from the box last night, after grocery shopping, and as I step off the elevator, the delicious, mouth watering smell of fresh Otis Spunkmeyer cookies hits me.  Will power kicked in strong, it helped I was going the other way.  Get my groceries down, now I need some ice, back in the hallway, smells soo good.  Get the ice machine.  Broken.  Have to walk to the other side of the hotel (shaped like a horse shoe, no quick route there).  My path takes me by the room with the cookies.  Free cookies.  AND as I'm walking past, the demon...the cookie monster... I mean cookie baker is walking the hallway towards me.  Asks so sweetly "would you like to step into the lounge, have a fresh cookie".  I politely declined, said I needed ice for my knee, and kept walking.  Win for me. 

Have a great rest of your day.

TCN

1 comment: