Monday, May 26, 2014

Heroes

We've all got them.  Hero's.  People who are admired by others for a variety of reasons.  Maybe your heroes play sports, making that last second movement to seal a victory.  Maybe you're heroes live in your imagination, and are sometimes played out in comics, tv, or the movies.  Perhaps your heroes fought the status quo in the pursuit of equality for all.  Your heroes might even be everyday people who do those extra ordinary things for others. 

For me, a lot of my heroes fall into the last bucket I listed, normal folk who do extra ordinary things, some of them have even done extraordinary acts.  There is a bit of a difference between the two, but I'm not an English major, and I'm not going to bother trying to explain it, partly because I wouldn't do it justice.  I'm in a very somber mood as I write this, so I'm trying to keep this upbeat and flowing without getting into the weeds, bear with me.  If you're reading this, there is a solid chance you've met some of my heroes, know of some of my heroes, or are possibly one of my heroes.  I love these people. 

It's people like this that make life a little bit easier for the rest of us.  People willing to do more than what is required, more than what society expects of us.  Today, on Memorial Day, we CrossFitters tend to celebrate one of these heroes in particular.  Lieutenant Michael P. Murphy.  If you've seen Lone Survivor, you know who this man is.  I haven't seen it yet, I had to find out more about him using "the Google".  I won't repeat much of what I've learned these past weeks, it's worth your time to go look him up for yourself.  On this day, we do the hero WOD Murph in honor of him, and all others who have given their lives to their fellow countrymen and women. 

Workout is simple enough.  1 mile run, 100 pullups, 200 push-ups, 300 squats, and then another 1 mile run, for time.  Lt. Murphy knew this workout as "Body Armor", so named for the 20lb weighted vest worn in lieu of body armor.  Body Armor was renamed Murph in his honor, and today there was encouragement from the coaches to remember Murphy and heroes like him as we went through the paces. 

Being the guardian of my knee integrity, I opted to row 1600m instead of running...I pulled up short at 800m, turned out to be the right call.  Ring rows for pullups, modified pushups, and air squats.  I didn't quite get through 1/2 the workout, I shortened my squats, again, these achy knees.  Ended up at 42 minutes and change.  800m row, 50 rows, 100 pushups, 100 squats, 800m row.  I had a great looking sweat puddle...I mean this was almost to the level of just pouring water out on the floor.

Push-ups fell off towards the end, coaches had to get me a box to keep a solid plank while doing pushups.  If I cared, I might have been embarrassed, but I'm not embarrassed, and I didn't care much.  Coaches want you to succeed as much, or maybe even more than you do, and they want you to do it right, without getting hurt.  Andy saved my form today, and the stupid things weren't any easier...which surprised me, and sucked. 

I put stuff like this out there to let new people, or people considering CrossFit some of that extra insight.  Don't worry about what you don't think you can do.  Come on in, show up, and lets get our workout on.  Really, these people are great, they're going to help you do it right.  We provide the equipment and tutelage, you bring the desire and sweat.  #fairdeal 

I feel good about the fact I finished Murph today, but I'm frustrated.  My mind is further along this journey than my body is.  All that considered, I still need to find a way to get faster.  When I find this inner...peace, strength...something, I'll share it.  I feel like I'm riding a BMX bike in the Tour de' France.  I realize it's only been 6 weeks, and I'm patient, but impatient.  Feel me? I've seen progress.... but in my mind, after some workouts, it's like the equipment company name I see around....  Again.  Faster. 

Alright, alright, I'll give myself a break.  It has only been 6 weeks, and I'm already seeing progress on all fronts.  I'm just impatient about it a little bit.  I think I could have done the whole Murph (modified), but I'd have needed a full 90 minutes.  I'm not quite comfortable doing that at Establish...or maybe even at Diamond State.  Not because of the people, no, I think they'd cheer me on like I'd just won some championship single handedly.  No, it's more about me and being slow.  LOL.  I've never liked people waiting on me for anything, perhaps it's a character flaw?  Next year we're doing the whole thing.  Can't tell you if it will be modified or not, but I can tell you that I'm going to crush today's efforts.  #takeittothebank

Alright, enough of that nonsense, it's over, I survived, and will be back for more soon (tomorrow?).  If I haven't said it before, Establish is now my home.  On Friday we graduated a bootcamp type class of people learning how to CrossFit.  Got to meet more of the faces from the website (read coaches), and learn more about people not on the website.  I'm happy to be here, they're happy to have me.  I see big things for Establish, and I hope to help them along the way.  I tell them all the time about my family at Diamond State, and how I want to help them get that community feel here, because there is nothing better.  Establish is eager, they're hungry, and like me, they've drank the Kool-Aid.  Exciting days ahead. 

Speaking of Diamond State, I still don't know when I'll be back.  My client should be meeting this week to decide....whatever it is they need to decide.  Hope to know more soon, either way, I doubt I'll be home for too much longer.  When I do come back through those CFDS doors though, it's going to be a surprise.  No announcing it anywhere, I like to surprise folks. 

What else... had pizza for the first time in a month...really the first dairy I've had... my stomach didn't kill me, but it gave me a real hard look and a head shake.  Message received.  Pizza was amazing though...and this place isn't even top 25 worthy.  Might be another month or two before I try that again though.  Want to keep 'dem gains!

I don't have much else right now, hope you're doing well.  Celebrate the rest of your Memorial Day, celebrate your heroes, and enjoy some time with friends and family.  Time to go ice my knees again. 

Cheers!

TCN

4 comments:

  1. Murph is one mother f of a mental workout. I was about half way through when i started thinking about how much I hurt and how much it was sucking. Then i quickly realized that I was still feeling the pain, which meant I was alive. I finished the wod (not a PR). It only takes 1 person in the box to start the fire, once that sucker is burning....the community feel will ignite. Make sure your client knows you want to come back for a long time. We miss you around the box. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete