Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Jokes on you...or rather me.

Two lies I told myself this morning.  One, I feel great.  Two, this doesn't look that difficult. 

Let me back up to the end of Murph yesterday.  After the workout recovery specifically.  First thing I got was a sample of Progenex recovery formula.  Tasty.  Made a mess of it too.  Cut the whole thing open, rather than just a corner, and the mouth of bottle was your typical 16-20oz bottle...so I improvised with a paper funnel.  Messy, but mostly effective. 

So we've got the supplements.  Then there was the grilled food.  I ended up with a burger and a dog, more water too.  Went home, had a Myoplex pre-made shake (the 42g of protein one).  Iced the knees for a long time.  800mg of Advil.  Rest.  Think I had some chicken over salad for dinner.  Solid deal.  Even went to bed early. 

Fast forward to today,  woke feeling great.  I mean no soreness, no extra pain, no nothing.  One word after that workout...Awesome.  Then I looked at the WOD for today.  "That doesn't look that bad".  On the drive into the box, "Highway to the Danger Zone" comes on....motivating, but today at least, it should have been a warning. 

I get to the box early... I mean 30+ minutes early.  I knew I wanted to use a lax ball, my shoulders were a bit sore.  Worked them out...and you know, come to think of it, the last time I used a lax ball, I ended up sorer...same thing today...sorer right now.  Anyway.  So I stretch a lot, before the stretch and warm up.  It's about the time that I'm getting down to do hip/glute bridges...and then I feel it.  Oh the sneaky soreness, you've shown yourself at last.  It was in this minute I realized there might be a little something more to this WOD.... lies.  "I'm good to go".  No, I've got some work ahead of me, but thats ok, it's what I'm here for. 

Skill/Strength:
12 min EMOM
DB Push Press
4 dips
4 ring rows
WOD:
12 min AMRAP
-8 HR pushups
-40m Farmer’s Walk 70/53
-6 Unweighted Step-ups 24/20
then
3 Rounds
:40 Row for Max Calories
rest 1:30
Score is total Calories

DB push press was easy enough, did 20lbs, which is about the max I've ever done before CrossFit.  30 reps total is also a PR for that.  Dips...did them between two boxes this time...Pain.  Thats the only word that comes to mind.  It hurt, it wasn't fun, and I will improve.  The rows...I need to find a consistent start point so I can measure growth accurately...my last set I tried to set up under the bar...only got 2, then went back to something more manageable

AMRAP...oh yeah baby.  Pushups...didn't I do a whole lot of these yesterday?  Farmers walking is easy...I will say I didn't pay attention to my shoulders, I want to think they were back, but I don't know.  Step-ups are just that, not a big deal till your tired.  Now comes the second truth, this isn't going to be easy...not after the weights.  I put puddles on the floor.  Not quite Murph levels, but not so far off...it was hotter today....that and I wear a t-shirt under the sleeveless.  Don't ask me why, I just do.  But it makes it a wee bit hotter.

3 rounds of calorie rows... not much to say, except in my best Samuel L. Jackson voice, "Row MF Row".  Got a solid time...I think it was the best one of the group tonight, but I didn't check.  I felt strong.

So yeah, wasn't actually not sore, and this WOD wasn't as easy as I'd thought.  Oh well, as I'm sure Lt. Murphy would quickly remind us, the only easy day was yesterday.

I feel like I had more to say, but it's not coming right now.  Have to share it next time.

Cheers

TCN

No comments:

Post a Comment