Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Grant

Could the next person into Establish look around, see if I left my shoulders there?  I can't seem to find them, they're not with me, and I don't see them in the house... 

Yes, ladies and gents, I'm done.  Pooped.  Kaput.  I wasn't planning on going to tonight's session, but the thought that I might get another 1RM for something (strict press) was appealing.  I hit 125, and tried to go up 10 more before we ran out of time, too much, didn't have time to come back and try just 5 more.  Oh well.

I'm spent man.  My shoulders are struggling to stay upright when I walk...I've been victimized.   This isn't a whole new level or pain or anything, I just feel....well really good.  This is that feel good soreness when you know there is nothing else you could have done, that this was some of your best stuff.  Thats where you find me tonight.  Beaten, but triumphant.  If that doesn't make sense now, I promise it will the day it happens for you.

After the push press tonight, did some more... any guesses?  Ring Rows.  I'm actually getting really sick of them.  LOL.  30 of them, best form I've ever done, and the struggle to get them just right, makes it that much sweeter now.  Hated it then, don't let me fool you, but now that I'm done, it's a great feeling.

Ok, so what has me so spent?  The METCON today was the one ? mark for me.  250m row, 15 KB swings, 25 burpees, 15 KB swings 250m row.  Rest 2 minutes, repeat.  I wasn't going to make Rx, not in any real time, so I scaled it a little.  I wasn't consistent in my scaling though, probably need to work on that.

Tonight, we had to go in two waves.  6 rowers just isn't enough for 8 people.  I was slow getting to a rower, sandbagging if you will.  Mistake.  My turn is up after the first wave, I hit that rower like I hit every rower.  Not terribly fast, not slow, steady.  Minute and change, forget what it was, I'm going to have to check with people who keep track of these numbers to see what a good time is... anyway...  I went up a weight in KBs tonight.  Green stripe if that means anything to you.  Did 10 swings the first go round.  My plan was to 10 everything... Started the burpees.  I don't know why, but I kept going.  I made it to 20 before I said no mas.  Small feat.  Did 12 KB's the next time, rowed.  Something like 8 minutes.  Two minute break, not enough....

Round 2.  Some of the 1st wavers are wrapping up....shoulda gone first.  Rowing, check.  KBs, 15.  check.  By now, #7 and I (#8 of the 8 people in the WOD tonight) are into burpees, she's almost done, I'm just getting started.  My first CFDS moment happens at Establish.  Grant comes up, asks me, how many you got left.  I'm 5 in, no way am I saying 20, I say 10.  I can't breath as it is, I see whats about to happen here, I dread and embrace it.  If you want an idea whats about to happen, read this

Let me take a small step back.  Grant is the youngest CrossFitter I know.  I have no idea how old he is, but I'm guessing around 15.  Not sure how long he's been doing this, but he's so full of energy.  I hate him.  LOL. 

Back to the WOD.  Grant, has the heart of a servant leader at 15.  This kid goes all Dustin on me.  Read about Dustin here.  So Grant is like how many do you have left, I'll do them with you.  This is EXACTLY where I want to be tomorrow...really it's going to be like 1.5-2 years.  I'll do them with you.  Damn.  So I've got about half the class around me/us, ceering, urging me on, the other half around #7.  When I remember her name, I'll edit this, but until then she's #7.  I was so tired.  I could barely get one done without the need for a rest.  It took about 2 minutes, but all 10 were done.  Thanks Grant, if you ever read this, you've got a fan.  I'm very proud of you, and I hardly know you.  I expect big things from you sir.  #actionsspeaklouder  So between Grant and the others we count down every one of these 10 burpees.  "9, 9 more to go Dan.  7, you're getting them done, keep it up!  5, half way there!  4, ok Dan, lets do 2 and 2 and we're done.  2 left, lets go, you've got this! LAST ONE, c'mon!"  Victory.  "Alright, great job, lets get those KB's knocked out and move on."   Only thing I can do is nod my head and grab the KB. 

With little left to give, I split the set.  Went 8 and 7, but got them done quick.  Plenty of fist bumps, way to gos, almost dones, etc.  I cherish every one of them.  This is what I've been wanting to see here, people pushing people.  I love CrossFit.  Maybe I just need to go slower more often.  LOL.  No.  This is how those pep talks can drive extra results.  Anyway, on to the rower!

I have this problem rowing...there are times when I think I hold my breath, or breath really shallow....either way, I can get gassed if I'm not careful.  Started happening in the early 100's, caught it and fixed it by 200.  The last 50 were a sprint... I mean I push/pulled with everything I had, and then it was over.

So tired.  So out of breath.  So happy I went above and beyond the limits I'd set on myself.  It's really a lot more mental that most people know or give credit for.  Keep pushing, and you can go a lot further than what you think you can do.  I know thats how it works for me anyway.  I left the box tonight, and I don't recall thinking I could have done more, pretty sure the tank/basement is empty.  Thats a good feeling right there.

Passing thoughts:

Warmups tonight...I had a very respectable puddle.  I don't think anyone else was sweating...  LOL.  Oh well.  59 more lbs and I'm going to stop wearing a t-shirt under my sleeveless shirts.

I'm getting the weightlifting shoes in the coming month(s).  Probably the Reeboks. Hope to go hand in hand with my quest for PRs in July/August.  #wellsee

Probably going to go ahead and get the MRI done and over with.  Knees are doing better with the pill regiment I'm on, much better really, but I'd like to know whats going on in there. 

Establish is getting that community feel.  I think it's part of me being there longer (as in my perception of it), and part that the group is getting to be chummy.  I'm very excited about this.  Remember when I said if we can be 1/2 as good as CFDS, this place will be awesome.  We're getting there, and I believe we'll get there soon.  Blood sweat and tears bond like little else.  Andy Paller knows what I'm talking about.   

Still trying to get a PR bell at EST.  Also would love to have a chalk board or something where people can put up their goals and eventually cross them off.  Need to get these ideas in front of the right folks.

Alright, enough of the madmans rants.  Get out there and get it done.

tcn

4 comments:

  1. **Caution: ADD about to kick in with random thoughts**
    I am right there with you with smoked shoulders. Iced mine last night just to try and prevent injury due to overuse. The mental gains people get through CrossFit far outweigh the physical gains. Way more impressive too. Get the MRI soon. You have big goals; health and longevity is more important than a workout or PR today. Take care of any underlying issue in your knees (hopefully there aren't any). Oly shoes - Reebok lifter 2 are better then the original lifters (IMO) and are good all purpose shoe/CrossFit shoe. If you want a strictly oly shoe a lot of people like the Adidas Adipower or Nike Romaleos 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That doesn't look like ADD to me. :P Yeah, I'm calling up the diagnostic place today, get on their calendars before I get shipped out again.
      Oly shoes are still a ways out. I'm about 80% committed to Reebok, but if my lifting gets a little crazy, I may go all in on some strict ones. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. I am sad you didn't call them velcro shoes, Dan! Haha! Anyway, go with the Reebok lifter - more versatile for us 'Fitters that like to row, run, jump, squat, thrust, snatch, clean, jerk, burpee, lunge...you get the point! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'm maturing... LOL. But you're right, those velcro shoes...man, lots of memories just came back. hahaha. Thanks for that. People wearing shoes with straps on them.... funny stuff till they're on your feet.

      Delete