Monday, June 16, 2014

Magic Monday

Well, it's magic for me anyway.  Here's why.  Two of my favorite national teams play in the world cup today (one is currently on and winning).  I love soccer.  Broke my ankle playing soccer, and as soon as I'm down a significant amount of weight and the knee pains are past, I'll be back to playing soccer.  Today is also great for other reasons.  I woke up today and I'm in good health.  Two things that don't always happen for everyone else.  Some people don't wake up, and a lot of folks have problems.  If you're awake, and healthy, guess what, it's a good day.  Oh, and the last reason today is magic... my doctor mandated "take it easy" period is over.  Great WOD to come back to, not much squatting, but lots of work.

It's funny, at least a little.  Warming up, I feel full of energy and am ready to go, my muscles are rested and ready.  My knees, not so much.  Already creaky.  I have to LOL about it.  Figures, and it's ok, I'm back to work, ready to go regardless.  Every day is an opportunity to get better.  Today, I'm going to get better. 

Warming up is nice, if not hot and sticky.  It's humid this morning.  Still haven't figured out where this moisture comes from.  In the middle of the country, and it's nasty almost all summer.  I've still got my two shirts on...going to be a long summer till these come off.  Dips and chin-ups for the strength training today.  Can't do either yet, ring rows, you got it...for the dips, did strict DB press's.  It now occurs to my why my triceps were tender over the weekend, I did a lot of these last week.  Who knew.  Suddenly I'm tired, and we've got the main workout left.  Must have forgotten to fuel up before I started.  

Simple progression.  18-15-12-9-6.  KB swings and pushups...oh, and then there was a 400m row and more dips and chin ups.  I've recently upped my KB to 38#'s from whatever the next one down is.  After the first set of 18, thought I was going to have to go down a size.  Princess pushups were awful looking, or must have been, Andy comes over with a barbell.  Rack that thing up at something like bench press height.  I'm going to be doing barbell pushups.  These things are AWESOME.  No big belly dragging the floor, no more being on the knees, and I get that full range of motion.  I like this.  I get the 13 remaining pushups done for the first set.  I hate this.  Man, these are hard, keeping the core tight, on my toes, try to get the chest to the bar.  This is that good "I hate it, I love it" pain. 

Getting ready for the 15, I talk myself into keep the weight I've got, said to myself that I'm going to do this set with it, then I'll switch.  Yeah, one more set then I'll switch.  I've started splitting sets, but I'm getting them done.  More barbell pushups.  These things are getting difficult.  I love it.  And hate it.  More.  Really, I'm taking mini 10 second breaks.  Breaking up everything now.  Feel like I've lost something in my days off.  I'm still slow regardless.  It's mental at this point...well it's always mental.  Being positive isn't enough for this I don't think, need to get stronger mentally too.  We'll work on it. 

Maybe it's a little silly, but I'm excited to be doing these barbell pushups.  I feel the full range of motion.  I think it's better than being on the knees.  It feels more like a real pushup.  I guess it's the small things in life.  Whatever, I like them, I don't need your approval.  :P

I finish all the KB swings and pushups, on to rowing.  It's easy...well "easy".  The shoulder presses are a struggle now. I'm using 20#s.  Had to break it up into 2 sets of 10.  Last thing, ring rows.  Amazingly, these things are now very difficult.  I broke this up into 4 sets.  I had to.  And then I'm done.  So tired.  But I'm happy.  I'm where I needed to be.  Morning workout with my CrossFit family, I'm happy today I get to workout instead of watching everyone do Fran like on Friday.  This Monday is a great Monday. 

Other news.  Big big big congrats to my family at CrossFit Diamond State.  They won the co-ed Rx 1st place at the Delaware Affiliate Challenge and got runner up in the scaled division. 

Congrats to you all, I know you make each other proud, but you make me proud too.  Happy to have been a part of CFDS, and I can't wait to see you guys again.  Keep up that intensity! #diamondstrong

To my Establish people that read this, do we have affiliate challenges for KC?  If not, how bout we lead the charge to set it up.  I know there are other boxes in KC that have athletes, and then have people who just train for the games, but I think we can hang with anyone, lets get it!

Parting thoughts for everyone, particularly the newer folks or folks who haven't taken that first step into a box.  Begin where you're at, and use what you've got.  No one starts off a champion, it takes hard work, and dedication.  The picture above is proof positive that hard work pays off.  #HWPO  None of them started off where they are now, and they'd tell you the same thing.  Work hard, play hard. 

Have a great week, I know I'm going to.  I'm back.  I'm sore, I'm tired, and I couldn't be happier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment