Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Is it evil, genius, or both?

I know the phrase is evil genius, but thats not what we're talking about here.   Well what are we talking about?  I'll get to that in a paragraph or two.  Let me get through my warm up first...brings me to lax/lacross/whatever balls.  I hate these things.  Last two times I've used them, I've ended up SORE the next day.  Jordan aka Coach J is on deck tonight, he says lacross ball smashes... I told him no.  LOL.  It was an interesting conversation, between him and Ryan Weldy, I'm under the impression I'm supposed to be sore the next day... I still politely disagree... find out more in the morning. 

This WOD is special to me...because when I saw it last night, I saw there was no metabolic conditioning.  I got excited.  Weight day.  I can do some weights, I want to work on my form anyway.  Oooh, and deadlifts.  I've never done a deadlift in my 7 weeks 2 days of CrossFit.  FINALLY.  Don't' ask me why I'm excited about these things, I can't tell you, I've just never done them and I guess something new is exciting?  

3 EMOMs on the board.  Piece of cake.  HAHA.  Infamous last words. 

First up, we've got hang power cleans, and toes to bar.  Still working on my form, thats my goal this month, to get this stuff down pat, so when I add weight, I'm in a good spot.  Think I did 75lbs for the power cleans.  So 12 rounds, 2 cleans, then 6 toes to bar on the next minute.  Ready?  Go!  The cleans were good, not great.  I'm almost to the point of asking a coach to stand there and watch me a few times.  Maybe next time.  Sometimes I pull the bar up like it's nothing (which makes me feel like I'm formtastic), and other times it's a bit of a struggle.   Get through all this, still no toes to bar, so I'm hanging around doing knee raises.  I put more effort into them this time, I focus a bit more on what I was doing, instead of just going through the motions...and I feel it today.  Must have been sandbagging it the other way... MOAR focus is requried!  Yes. 

Deadlift time.  I have no idea where to start.  Coach J suggests 135.  Sounds good to me.  It's only supposed to be 60% anyway.  Get the bar set up.  It feels alright, like this might be spot on.  Thumbs up to him.  The other half of this is muscle ups....or more ring rows for the king.  This is a 14 minute EMOM.  My hands are already beat up from the toes to bar, the handles on the rings and the lifting... if I had big callouses, or really established callouses, I'd be concerned, I don't so I'm just going to have raw hands.  Deadlifts ended up getting easier once I got going, or at least thats how I remember it.  The rows... they aren't as fun/easy as they used to be.  I'm ready to pass on the crown, but muscles ups are a long ways away still. 

The instructions given we're that on the last deadlift, get your bar ready for the final EMOM.  Set it to 75lbs (guys weight) cause we're going right into the EMOM of 8 power snatches.  Cardio weightlifting.  Evil.  Genius.  Both maybe, I'm not sure.  At 75lbs, I think, this can't be that bad...  oh man.  The first two sets I'm good.  The 3rd minute/set sees the form slip, and my ability to get done slip.  Now I'm doing them on the 30 seconds instead of the top of the minute to give me a chance to catch my breath.  This sucks.  I mean I'm gassed by this 3rd set, and the extra waiting, isn't helping.  #cardio  I get through minute 4 and I'm panting now.  I'm in rough shape, I don't have it in me to start the 5th set on time.  I'm a little dejected, but I'm also not dumb.  Mind is far ahead of the body remember, so I'm irritated that I can't keep up, but my rapid breathing is telling me that the extra time is needed.  I finshed the last set with everyone else, actually before everyone else.  The extra time gave me the boost to finish.  Wow. 

I'm breathing heavy, lamenting the fact I only did 5 to everyones 6, but still cleaning up my bar.  My workout is over, I'm not going to go back and do it now.  Good time to point out that I did 5 more power snatches than 99% of the world did today.  I'm doing stuff today to make me better tomorrow.  Take it easy buddy.  #therapymoment   I'm fine (this is me rationalizing to you), and I don't get discourage easily, so bare with me as I self heal with my irritation at myself.  Doing today what others wont so tomorrow I can do what others cant.  There, all better. 

So yeah, lifting as cardio seems really evil to me.  I struggled, got a high heart rate out of it, and now am sore as a mother.  Maybe it's a mad scientist type of genius.  Time will tell either way.  I love weights, and going for PR's...and I will be doing more of that in July...but this wasn't what I expected with what looked like a weight day.  This clip says it all.  Yes, very sneaky how that was done.  Oh well, still love it, #cantstopwontstop  Ready for tomorrow, bring on the burpees.  Only way to get better is to do them.

See you at the box!

TCN

No comments:

Post a Comment