Thursday, June 26, 2014

Fall down go boom.

WOW.  It's been 5 days since my last WOD.  I could feel it today....feel it now as a matter of fact.  First, the injury, seems to be all good.  @Iamthehealer said that it was some subluxation in the shoulder.  Great.  But it made sense, I slept on my left side for the first time in a while, just trying to change it up, so it makes sense that that would happen....well, no, it makes sense thats what did it, but not that that would make that happen.  Anyway. 

I actually went to the box on Tuesday, was thinking of trying to do it all anyway, pain or not.  Smartie that I am, I talked to Coach J and told him whats up.  I think he would have let me go for it had I pressed him, but I know better than that, and so we shook on it and I split.  Went to literally the other side of KC (Look up Liberty, MO to Olathe, KS, you'll see), saw my man, got adjusted, life is good. 

Back to the present.  Getting on the rower for the warm up felt so dang good.  It usually does after an extended period away.  The first 2-4 pulls, the body starts to remember what it's supposed to do, joints starting firing up, things are moving, yeah baby, it's time to go!  LOVE that feeling.  Then the warm up happened.  I say it like that, because the rest of the warmup didn't feel so good.  LOL.  By the end I was dripping sweat from my arms.  FROM MY ARMS!  It's freaking hot, I need to get under 400 lbs quick man, this two shirt thing is really out of control....well, 400lbs is out of control, but we're working on that.  

The WOD was simple today...it was called the Nancy Grace.  I don't know all the girls, but I suspect this is actually a combo of the two... This is straight from the website, picture and all:

NG
3 rounds
-400m Run
-15 Overhead Squat
-15 Clean and Jerks 95/65

Actually, I'm ahead of myself, to warm up for this, we did 1RM for Split Jerks.  I went up in weight fairly quick, but somewhere from 95 to 125, it got a lot harder.  Had new coach Torry (sp?) come over and I was asking what the deal was.  Guess I was pushing it up like a press more than a jerk.  I added 20 more and he said that the form was looking better.  So I stopped at 145.  I don't think it's a true 1RM, I know I could have done more, but I'm rocked at this point, and a little worried about my shoulder.  It's all mental, the shoulder is fine, but I used it as a crutch to stop at.  145 it still more than I've every done before, someone at CFDS ring that bell for me.

Nancy Grace....was awful.  I didn't bother running again, did the rowing.  Easy enough, sub 2 minutes is acceptable for 400m (I think).  I made a mistake, that I'm only just now realizing as I write this, we'll get to it a hot second.  For the overhead squats, I've got a bar, it's 65#s.  I get it up, and I've got the weight above my head...and I pause.  Mentally blocked.  My first 2 squats aren't even really squats.  3rd it better, 4th is good, but I'm wobbling, 5th one is great.  I'm gassed now, and frustrated, because when I get done with the 5th.  I put the bar down, I'm scared to pick it back up.  We're already like 5 minutes in... I decide to move one.  Clean and Jerks....I decide on the split jerk.  I'm going slow, I get to 10, and everyone is already back running.  I admit it, I punked out, put the bar down and got on the rower, no 15 today.  

Less than 2 minutes later, I'm up, and back at the bar.  Up.  Squat.  Shaky.  Up.  Squat.  Good.  Up.  Squat.  I tipped forward some, squatted up off the balls of my feet.  I put the bar down.  Here is where I should have remembered the last time I did these with weight, only got 3 in before I took the weights off and used the bar.  COMPLETELY FORGOT THAT.  I grab the bar, focused, this one is going to be right.  Up.  Squat.  I went deeper than before, probably deeper than I've ever squatted with weight.  I'm trying to push up, use that posterior chain.  I get it started, go up about 5 inches, and the bar goes forward, I've lost my balance.  Bar is gone forward, I'm going backwards.  Fall down go boom.

I laid on my back for maybe 5 seconds.  Laughing and swearing at myself.  First time I've ever fallen down.  New coach comes over quick, "you ok?".  I've sat up by now.   I look at him smiling and shook my head... yeah man, I'm fine, first time I've ever fallen down is all.  Flip over and hop up.  Andy is leading the class, hands me a PVC pipe.  I crank out the rest of the 15.  Still mad right now...as I write this, that I didn't remember to use just the bar.  I made the PVC ones appropriate.  I still push up from the mid foot (I''m flat footed mind you), for these, I lifted the toes and used the posterior chain.  That may be stronger than midfoot for most people, but that stuff is harder for me... lots to lift!.  On to cleans and jerks.  10 more.  15 minutes passed.  Got a 20 minute cap.   Hit the rower with a little more urgency. 

My soul is tired now.  I still get the rowing done in 1:50, but I had to stop 3 times.  3 minutes and change to finish before the cap.  Squats.  Set of 4, stop.  Set of 3, stop.  Set of 4, stopped.  I wanted to quit, say I was done...I tried to quit actually, but pride kicked in, and the fact that I was one of the last ones... 5 more done.  My thighs will forgive me tomorrow right?  I hope so.  2 minutes left.  At this point I want to DNF so bad.  I can't though.  10, I'm going to do 10.  2 minutes, should be easy enough.  1 clean... well, really, I wasn't even cleaning properly.  I'm picking the weight up and doing the motions, without much of the knee bending.  Thats how tired I am.  Split jerk.  Wow.  The pain and agony of that.  Not pain like ouch I'm hurt, but that muscle pain thats saying "oooof, this hurts, this is hard, you should stop now".  Can't stop.  Wont stop.  Again.  Get 2 more done.  Bar to the floor.  10 seconds later the bar is back in my hands, back in rack, split jerk, then to rack.  I decided as it's coming down that I'm going to touch and go it.  I do.  Complete the next one.  Thats 4 down.  1:10 left.  Going to have to fly.   Minute left.  Why aren't you moving.  I'm dealing with a bodily revolt at this point.  My mind is telling me I can't do it...and the body goes where the mind does.  I only get 2 more get done.  Slowly at that.  There were touch and go style at least.  I drop the bar.  18 seconds left.  I quit.  Didn't make my 10, but I was done.  Nancy Grace, you suck.

I went over to the rig, and sat down and leaned against it.  I've never been so tired that I've just sat on the floor.  Never fallen over and lost the bar.  Never split jerked 145 either, so not all the firsts I've had today are bad.  I look at my shins, they're covered in sweat, my arms are glistening... I'm a hot mess.  Underneath all this pain and misery, is a guy doing a happy dance.  I'm back, the rust has been knocked off, and I'm doing something I love with people I love....or at least like a lot.  :)  Tired, but happy. 

One thing of note, during some of these PVC squats, my knee was popping/making noise.  Never done that before.  It's in the area that fool doc put the shot.  So it's either liquid, or maybe new cartilage...or old cartilage giving way...idk.  Didn't hurt, just noisy...at least to me.  Something to monitor. 

Alright, I'm all done with this today.  Let me ask you a question, what would you like to hear about?  My thoughts and opinions are waiting to be heard.  I can give you this "big mans" perspective on whatever, so if you've got questions, or burning questions...or really just questions or curiosities like "how do you deal with ____" or whatever comes to mind, let me know, you can even be anonymous. :D

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment