Friday, June 27, 2014

Reserve fuel

Got an early start to the day and the weekend, went to the 9:30 class.  I have to say I was looking forward to this WOD.  Several people have been sharing some really good articles on FB that were CrossFit related, and I while I read just about everything put in front of me, I don't always bookmark it...so I've only got one to share, and for the purposes of this post, it's the only one that matters.  Thanks to CrossFit Diamond State for sharing. 

http://www.boxlifemagazine.com/community/rx-or-scaled-how-do-i-decide

If you have TLDR (too long didn't read) syndrome, the very brief overview, and what I focused on today, was doing the METCON with more intensity and being less concerned with it being RX.  Yesterdays WOD I was more concerned with the weight than getting it done with a scaled option, and whether or not that was the right approach for the nastiness that was yesterday, it's something I plan to keep in mind from here on out. 

This WOD started out easy enough, warmup stuff, some PVC stretching, things like that.  Then we grabbed the KBs.  The workout piece was going to be an EMOM of 6 KB snatches, left side, then right for 12 minutes total.  We did a some stretching and different lifts to warm up and get everything activated.  I'm already sweating like crazy.  EMOM was easy enough, might have gone up in weight,  but I worked on the form, I didn't want to swap weights in the middle, and I feel like the form is going to be important when I jump that weight up.  Thoughts for another day perhaps. 

The METCON was an AMRAP full of fun.  Wallballs, burpees, chest to bar's x2 spending 2 minutes on each activity.  So WB, BU, C2B, WB, BU, C2B.  One whole, glorious minute was set aside as rest between each set.  The early AM class's numbers were on the board.  One number on the board stood out, and I told Andy (the coach of the day) that I was aiming for that, going to beat it.  He then wrote something up there that was like 50 counts less, and asked me what I was going to go for now.  I get what he's saying, but I like to compete... either way I'm going to give it what I've got. 

Wallballs get ugly quick.  It's amazing how much heavier a 20lb ball is to a 14 or a 10.  I stated with a 10, I wanted to get as many done as I could.  Now is a good time to say that my thighs/quads are still sore from this whole pushing off the heels bit yesterday.  So I'm trying to keep that form up with the wallballs, build that as muscle memory so it's the only way I do it from now on... My count suffered, as did I, but it's going to get better...it has to, right?  

The rest comes, and it's too short.  Burpees.  By now you should know my fondness for these.  I guarantee if you're still reading this is 2 years, I'll probably say that I actually love burpees, but for now, it's mortal kombat.  10.  Thats all I do.  I can't say I sandbagged, I probably could have gotten 1 or 2 more had I had someone yelling at me...maybe.  Rest is great, now it's C2Bs...or for me, the wonderful ring rows. 

The paradox of doing as many as possible with a time limit hit me here.  I set a low bar of 20, and got there doing them 4 at a time.  My mental game needs work, clearly.  I stopped once I hit 20, had 15 seconds left before the break.  I was thinking with the extra time, I'll regroup and get ready for round two.  It worked a little.  First round, went 25, 10, 20.  I can do better.  I wont bore you with the details, I just dug deeper, and found some more.  30, 11, 26.  I miscounted when I put it on the board at the end, but even with the right count, I still came up a little short of the other guy.  Everyone else beat me by 25 or more.

Does that frustrate me?  Maybe a little, but not in a way that is bad.  It stokes that competitive fire, I want to be better than them, which means I need to be better than I am now.  I've grown a little lazy in my CrossFitting in that I've set my goals a little lower than the should be in my everyday workouts.  Wouldn't know it by the sweat and effort that goes into them, but if I'm being honest about it I fee like I leave a little bit in the tank, that reserve fuel.  Need to burn it all. 

Enough introspection.  Today was rough, but fun.  I gave it more than I would have the day before, and looking back now, I could have given it a bit more.  Might have to start a shirt business of my own with little hashtags or slogans.  First one was WOD So Hard University, next one is something like #noreserves

Maybe I'll just make those for me.  #shrug



No comments:

Post a Comment