Monday, July 13, 2015

But I don't wanna!

Mistakes were made.... and some weren't intentional.  Another wonderful travel Monday.  Woke up at 0130.  Thought it was 0430.  NEVER recovered.  Finally, it was 0430, and I peeled my tired self out of bed and got in the shower.  Good news though, slept almost the entire flight to Charlotte this morning.  Only rest I really got, the flight to Albany had me sitting right next to my future boss.  I didn't wanna talk her ear off, and I didn't want to sleep and snore in her ear... so I suffered in this half conscious coma. 

Another Monday with no lunch as well.  We were going to stop by this bakery/bistro place (that has bomb @ss food), but it was closed.  So nada.  Stopped at this fresh market place, and it's like a whole foods... more organic type stuff, they have hot food... and I was hungry.  Got more fruit than I meant to (2lb box of blueberries for instance), some chicken, a panini, some veggies, and only 1 bottle of water (dummy!).  Got back to the room, and scarfed down the panini while it was warm.  I wasn't actually going to go tonight.  I'm super tired, I'm hungry, the workout looked like it might actually kill me, only had a few minutes to get to the box... oh, and I said I was tired right?  Thats when I heard it.  That little voice inside me.  Chiding me, encouraging me, reminding me that this is where champions are made... when it's not fun, when it's nasty, when you don't want to go.  I changed quickly, and walked to the box. 

I will say, it's a  nice little walk.... I should check the exact step count... it's not very far.  Made it with time to spare.  Put on the lifters and my clean wrist straps, I was ready to go to work.  Now, putting the breaks on for a second, I knew we were doing cleans, I suspected squat cleans... I need... this is imperative... I NEED to start doing more and more squat stretching before I start.  No one is going to stretch the way I need to stretch for squats... gotta take care of me, and if you need to take care of you.  Coaches will hit a lot of the stuff, and if you've got some stretch nazi's, you'll hit them all, but most bits of programming are packed, and so some stuff gets missed.  Find "your" stretch for the movements, and do it... you'll thank yourself later. 

Alright, so back to this workout.  Strength portion, hang (squat) snatch, we had 20ish minutes to find a heavy weight.  Some of the coaches went to an oly lifting seminar this week, and brought back some good knowledge.  I think I not only learned a little bit more, but I've improved my pull a bit, at least for the snatch... and improving that, in any lift, is a big deal to me.  I'm not going to say it was the only thing that helped me, but I did PR my hang snatch by 20lbs tonight.  Now, the * of it, is that I don't know if that was a power hang snatch, or a squat one, so I reset the expectation that it was a hang squat snatch.  I can probably do better with a power snatch right now, but that's not going to be that way forever.  So, PR at 95#.  I know I can do more... but I took it for what it was tonight... looking forward to trying again. 

Ok, now the WOD was more of the same.  It had an element of 21-15-9 hang squat snatch (HSS) at 115# RX.  The actual workout was 25 burpees, 21 HSS 25 burpees, 15 HSS, 25 burpees, 9 HSS.  To make it interesting, there was a 10 burpee penalty for every time you drop the bar on the snatches.  I decided on 75#, the holding on to the bar bit, and then the whole I just PR'd at 95#.  It made sense.  The first 10 burpees weren't bad.  The last 15 sucked...and toward the end, I had to do a few slow step ups, and not bouncing back up.  Done...oh, wait, HSS... I did one... and my knee was like na... that warmup you did was crap sir, you're paying for it now.  Switched to hang snatches.  Didn't make it any better, just got rid of some of the deeper squatting, when I bothered to squat.

Not dropping the bar was harder than I thought.  I'll tell you that right now.  Early on, I would actually "rest" with the bar overhead...it worked for this first set a few times... let me get several doubles in.  There was some slight rest in a bent over squat hold rest thing... like you're holding the bar in your hip crease, bent over a little bit.  IDK, if that doesn't do it for you, I can't help.  The last rest technique I used, was holding in the classic back rack position.  Never thought I'd drop the bar, but I didn't feel like I'd ever get to 21.  Wish I had noted the time.  Back down to the burpees.  Winded, tired, slow.  No magic effort level, I took the time to rest, so I could do bigger sets.  Finally, with a few (4?) minutes left, I got back to the bar. 

In my mind, 5-5-5 sounds real nice, even, "easy".  I got 4.  Then it was in full survival mode.  Grip started going, muscle fatigue, general malaise... idk.  I got it done, in sets of 3 through the finish.  30 seconds left.  I did 3 slow as sin burpees.... and that was 3 more than I wanted to do.  I tried to do 4, but I heard a loud "THREE" behind me... I didn't have it... I just stopped, bent over... done. 

But hey, I survived.  Took a long time to get my breath back.  Still a lot of Dan getting up and down off the floor.  Thanked Carmen, put in my time and weight, didn't mark it as a PR, didn't know then, and then I walked up the hill to the hotel... and finally, done for the day.  I'm tired... just finished the USMNT game in my hometown (KC), moving on in the Gold-Cup, so now it's time for bed. 

Passing thought though, I've worked out in the top gym in not one, but two states.  And I say that, because I've wodded with the fittest man and woman of Delaware, and Kansas.  I don't know, it was cool to me, seeing that online today....and more really, putting two and two together.  Anyways... night!

No comments:

Post a Comment