Sunday, July 12, 2015

Mini competition.

I've been getting better about not working on the weekends.  The laptop I write 95% of this blog from is my work laptop, and the past two weekends (read Friday-Sunday), I've been trying to not be on this, so I don't do work... but then I get behind on the blog a little.  I'm looking for more options, might have one, but the $$ would be better spent on a new set of shoes to replace those New Balance.
Fridays workout was fun.  Nasty, sweaty fun.   Actually did a "warm up" of rolling some of the old tires that we're no longer using at On Track, into someones truck.  Then it was class time.  I was actually running late, and, finally, washing my wrist wraps, so I didn't have them on me.  I kinda feel gross admitting that this is the first time I've washed the wraps, but last week was also the first time they stunk.  Anyway, I used some loaners from the box, and got into the warmup. 

The workout, 5 rounds, teams of two (same gender), I forget the girls start weight, but the guys was 95.  The movement was a clean and jerk at 95lbs, and your partner couldn't pull their bar till yours hit the ground.  The winner from each round adds weight, if it was guys, 30#, girls did 20#.  2 minutes on, 2 minutes off.  We didn't get to add weight till the third round, but it was close the other two times.  4th round, we got beat by the other guys team (only 8 people showed up for this noon class), and then for the last round, we could add weight if we want.  I didn't go up for the 5th round, the 115# already had me tired.  We didn't write down the rounds every time, but I'm guesstimating that we did about 160 clean and jerks as a team, which would be 80 each, 60ish % of them at 95#, and the rest at 115#.  Hot sweaty mess. 

But wait, there's more.  Same partner, 8 minute workout, one does 15 deadlifts at the last weight on their bar, the other does 15 pushups.  At some point, somewhere around the 5 minute mark, my partner just started going on his own.  LOL.  For whatever reason, this workout kicked me in the gut.  We didn't need to keep track of anything, so I didn't, just kept moving.  Slow and steady.  The last set of deadlifts, I'm guessing the start of my 5th set, felt the back start to get tight a little, like earlier in the week...  so I stopped about 20 seconds early. 

But wait, there is still more.  Tired, covered in sweat, but determined to finish the day, we did 4 rounds of evil wheels (I think thats the name), and some ab exercise.  The evil wheels, same barbell... you're on your knees holding the bar, you push it in front of you, and then roll it back.  KILLER ab exercise.  The other exercise was... well, think of hollow rock position, with a KB in your hands, and you "jack knife" where the feet and KB touch, then back down.  OH. MY. GOODNESS.  Going from one to the other, and back... was awful.  I can't even pretend to have done a good job on the wheels.  I didn't go near as far or as deep as anyone else... core strength building for sure.  I shook, sometimes really hard, on every wheel pull back.  Strangely, abs never bothered me over the last two days. 

But wait there is more... actually, more of a cash out exercise.  Working on those ab "turtle shells".  Abmat situp with a KB, keep it overhead.  This, seemingly was the wost thing.  AMRAP for 2 minutes, so it didn't last long, but wow. 

Great workout.  I'm actually happy... didn't have to squat, so thats a win in my book.  Another week onsite starts tomorrow, need to check out the new hotels gym, see what I can do to supplement my workouts, get 3 in a week on site. 

Going to do surgery on the lifters with Shoe Gooo next weekend, I'll take pictures and report on the progress from time to time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment