Sunday, July 5, 2015

Priday was phantastic

Been a busy few days, so I'm gonna take you back to Friday, July 3rd.  Busy day, but a fun day.  Haven't had an actual day off in a long time.  Got to go talk to the sleep study folks, got an auto cpap machine, tried on 10+ masks.  It was an interesting process.  Today, two days later, I think I picked the right one, but it's something to take some getting used to. 

As soon as I was done at that I was going to go see a buddy, but I had the idea to try and see what the WOD was at On Track.  Plan change, going to the box.  Smart guy that I am, I brought my bag with me, lifters and all.  Got there just in time, got a little warmup in, then it was time for some work. 

Everything was looking good, till I got on the wall for some oly stretching.  As soon as I get on the wall... something pulled.  I stuck out the stretch, though the pain never really went away.  Squats today, big surprise.  Find a heavy 3 rep, then take 80% of it, and do 30 reps any way you want.  With my new found groin pull, and some per-existing knee pain, I didn't go super heavy for my 3, still working on the form.  I tried several things, tried to focus on pushing my hips back, then dropping.  Still needs work... I'm home, on vacation in two weeks (I think), and I'm going to spend a lot of time at On Track... squatting.  Or at least thats the plan. 

I ended up with 125lbs before the 3 reps got a bit painful.  I stopped there and started on my 30 reps.  Sets of 5.  Lots of breaks.  I got to hear Brian giving his coaching philosophy to a visiting coach from TX, who was looking for a box for his sister.  I've never heard "the pitch" for On Track, so it was cool to listen to him describe his philosophies, thoughts, plans, etc.  Also a great break for my 5 rep scheme to get to 30.  I struggled with the last few rounds... seems that that many weighted squats, while looking for form is kinda rough of on you. 

The workout looked hard, but "easy" on me.  12 minute AMRAP to the following scheme:

 15 Cal Row
30 Deadlift - 135/85
30 Cal Row
30 Deadlift - 155/105
45 Cal Row
30 Deadlift - 185/135
60 Cal Row
AMRAP Deadlift - 225/155

So, not a lot of knees, or anything else.  And I can do RX.  Cool!  So we start, and I beat everyone off the rower... This group of noon people, apparently aren't accomplished calorie rowers.  15 deadlHifts weren't bad, broke em up 10-10-10.  Hit the 45cal row with gusto.  Andrew (the visiting coach) passed me on the deadlifts, but I passed him back on the row.  I really like this competitive stuff.  I know I can't beat him in this WOD, the deadlifts are going to be the decider, and he's much better at them than I am. 

Somewhere in this second set of deadlifts, my right hamstring decides it's time to tighten up.  Got a little encouragement from the lady across from me... can't recall her name, but she remembers mine... funny thing, I know she's into triathlons and endurance racing, has a few coming up... but I don't know her name... moving on.  Finished the deadlifts and got on the rower.  Finally looked at the clock.  Something like 2 minutes and change left.  I'm a bit tired at this point, so getting to 45 calories was a bear.  I didn't look at the clock when I finally hit 45... focused on putting weight on the bar.  Didn't even pull the clips off, put the left 45 on, then the right, then the beep of it being time! 

I'm calling it .1 of the deadlifts at 185.  Brian called it 45/45 on the row.  Andrew, the TX coach beat me, and I think maybe 1 other person did, but that was it.  I beat some in shape dudes because I've got the gift of row.  LOL.  Nice to be on the "winning" side of the workout line.... even it was against a small subsection of the boxes population. 

No comments:

Post a Comment