Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Gotta get so much better...

Oh man, where to start.  Today sucked, for a number of reasons.  Probably going to get a little personal, a bit therapeutic... so, I apologize in advance for all the touchy feely stuff.  Work has been kicking my butt.  I'm attached to two sites right now, so I'm overextended, and really, I'm burning out quick.  Next week I'm home, on vacation, so I should be good to go after that... I hope.  Or it's going to be a long time up here in NY.  I also need to rehab the knee a bit, all my goodwill points are gone, gotta get back to it. 

No, what made the day rough was the bit of blindsiding I got from the family.  My last grandparent is in the hospital... and apparently it's a lot worse that they originally told me.  Short version, I think her kids, my pops and his siblings, had a meeting today to decide whether or not to take her off the ventilator, and basically see what happens.  Her quality of life isn't there, so I get it.  That enough would be enough for people to be like oh, damn, that sucks.... and it does.  What makes it hard for me... this is the first relative dying that I actually feel something for... it's hard to explain, bare with me.  It's not that I'm some monster that hates everyone, in fact it's far from it.  I've just always compartmentalized my family relationships...  I mean I grew up in Germany, they weren't around, so I was never as close as a lot of other people are to their family.  So when some family and friends family, and other "quasi" family passed, it never really rocked me.  I mean I was sad, but it was never like "whoa".  I still don't know that I'm like "whoa", but it's different this time... I don't know if I'm just growing up, maybe it's the kids, maybe I'm maturing without growing up?  Idk, it's just different this time.  Ok... enough of that for now.  She's still alive, last I heard... so we're good.  Deep enough for tonight. 

Alright, on to business, it's going to be quick,  it's later than I thought when I started.  Dave was teaching tonight, still no Dave P... or Ticket... or really anyone from Unlocked... miss you guys.  K, so we're doing heavy split jerks tonight.  Or at least, thats what was on the board.  We worked on push jerks as well... Did more of the progression work, and I picked up yet another nice little thing.  Lifting my toes before jumping, to keep it powerful without adding a ton of height.  Really cool, and really, the coaching this week has changed my mind about Soulshine.  I mean I thought it was a good box, but I had some concerns about borrowing programing from other people... but the coaching has been outstanding.  Anyway, I hit 2 PR's tonight.  1 with a split jerk, and then more with a push jerk.  Dave said it looked mmmm.... decent.  So that was good.  According to the sheet, I added 10lbs to the split jerk, and 20 to the push jerk.  I'll take it.  Nowhere near my 2015 goals for the move, but I think that can be worked on some more, to get closer by the end of the year. 

The METCON sucked ass tonight.  Partly... I didn't have the juice.  The other part, my body is just not in it from overwork, and the hold grandmother thing.  I don't know.  It sucked.  10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of thrusters at 95# and the burpee box jumps.  Dave said that the bar shouldn't be so heavy that you have to stop, or drop the bar, so I went with 80, which is more than the base 75, but not the full 95.  Baby steps I guess.  15 minute time cap.  I took all 15 of them, and didn't even get half way done.  First set of thrusters, easy enough.  The burpees, went pretty well.  When paired with box jumps... uh... lol.  It was back on the 6" box tonight, and I really didn't want to do all that jumping with my knees being old lady like, but Dave wanted us to work on being explosive... and well, dammit, I want to be explosive.  After that 10... I was done.  Only the rest of the workout to go right? 

Took a lot to get through the 9 without stopping, but I did it.  The burpees and box jumps are the super limiting factors here.  Sooooooo slow still.  Will be for a while still... but we're working on it right?  8 had me pause mid way, didn't drop the bar though.  The trail of sweat from this round was epic.  All over the floor, the box, everywhere.  I thought this workout would never end.  The set of 7 crushed my soul.  I dropped the bar once, and then took two pauses.  It hurt, but I'm pushing as hard as I can to get it done, knowing I wouldn't have too many burpees, or box jumps.  30 seconds left, and I managed to get 3 in before time. 

Felt like a failure.  EVERYONE else, including the new guy I brought, finished before me.  I didn't even get half way.  Man alive.  Pride took one on the chin tonight.... and that might be just the thing I need to push myself harder next time.  Push through that pain, push through the burn in the quads... push push push.  I guarantee I remember it the next time I'm at Soulshine...or On Track, or anywhere I need to push myself more... which seems to be everywhere.  HA!

Other notables, will review a new product soon.  Bought my first Junk headband, complete with the Soulshine logo.  We'll see how it works this Friday.  But right now, sleep is calling...though that reminds me of a good convo I had with the new guy I took to Soulshine.... old work buddy, first guy I trained, who happened to be out here this week... we spent a lot of time talking about things over Chipotle... and sleep was at the top, and how important it is.  I think I've written it in like 10 posts at least.  Gotta get better at that.  Gotta get so much better...

No comments:

Post a Comment