Tuesday, April 7, 2015

On track for 8...

If I keep this current pace up, I'm on track to lose 8 whole pounds this year.  EIGHT.  Thats it.  This is a freaking awful start to my quest to lose 100 lbs this calendar year.  And I know who's fault it is.  My wif... lol.  No, no, it's all me.  The plus side of this is that I know I can maintain my weight by eating whatever I want at home, and being pretty good on the road.  But we're not looking for that now.  Now it's time to lose, no maintaining. 

I've been talking a big game about wanting to lose this weight, but I haven't been following through when it mattered the most (at home).  Something I've started doing is asking myself the simple question, "will this help me lose 100lbs?" any time I eat.  The answer is starting to become yes more often than not when I'm at home, but I need to (and I will) edge that closer to 100% yes for both home and when I travel.  I'm rapidly approaching the one year mark of CrossFiting, and while I've made tremendous strides in the strength department over the course of this year, I let my weight loss goals suffer.  

Really, I think I just got comfortable with the process... like when you get on a chummy first name basis with your boss, and then you slip up and do or say something you shouldn't... thats where I'm at now.  Dealing with the fallout of letting myself get comfortable, complacent even, on my diet.  'Living the lie', telling myself that I was doing alright, even good.  The scale doesn't lie though.  I'll be back at the PCP (primary care doc) in about 7 weeks, and it's a great time to see my progress, make any adjustments I need to, and keep moving forwards.  After all, thats how winning is done. 

I'm being fairly hard on myself, writing all this down and having a bit of a monologue about it.... but it's also very fair criticism.  I haven't done (all) the work, and I'm expecting the results.  Performance gains are good, but the weight ones aren't, and I'm going to fix that right meow.  I have a healthy self image, and I don't bash myself like other people who get down, so hopefully you don't take that away from this.  I really don't need a hug.  Promise.   

Alright, that's  out of the way, time to talk about tonight.... er today.  Got a decent amount of sleep for a Monday (4 hours).  And when I say decent, I don't mean the quantity so much as the quality.  Wasn't much waking up or tossing and turning, good sign.  I'm actually going to finish writing this post tonight, then sleep on it, and proof in the morning.  Does two things, gives me time to make sure I didn't miss anything I wanted to hit, and then there is the whole spell/grammar checking.  Moving on...

Got to the box early, gave me time to stretch and otherwise catch up with folks.  Warmup we celebrated a 50th birthday with some jump rope.  Good times.  According to my research online, the first part of the workout was going to be working on some skill work... Dave P was running the class, turns out skill work was pullups...which is what I was going to work on anyway, but differently.  I had the idea in my head that I'd take 1, 2, or maybe 3 black bands and see if I could do a banded pullup with a monstrous amount of help.  Dave had other ideas.  Worked on the kip.  It was ugly at first.  Shoulders.  Didn't.  Move.  I got better the more I did it, but my grip, at this weight, is limited to say the least.  Heavy farmers carries and lots of bar hanging sets are in my future.

WOD tonight was something nasty.  3 rounds of 100 DUs, 25 KB swings at 53 (?), 20 box jumps, and 15 burpees.  I scaled it all in my head (sorry Dave).  Still took me a long time to do it.  I was wearing the New Balance tonight, and I'm really starting to hate them for jumping.  The scaled option was 150 singles, but I jumped at the DU number.... it's hard enough, adding to the suffering just doesn't sound all that great, na mean?  The KB's I did with a 44... which was lighter, or I should say felt lighter than I thought it would when I started swinging.  The step ups were strong tonight.  If I'd done them at 20", they'd have been a decent amount harder, might do it next time just for the burn... 18" was still a struggle.  Burppees... I cut those down the first two rounds, third round I did all 15.  Don't know why... I need to get better about doing it all at the amount prescribed, stop taking shortcuts.

Back to the jumps, the last round was a test of my patience.  It was like I was back in the open.  2 and 3 loop sets.  I wasn't going anywhere, fast or slow... I gave up somewhere around 80.  Frustration and disgust was all over my face..  I think Dave could see it.  LOL.  I'll get there man.  I did have an interesting experience in my first set though, a sort of jump roper nirvana, or maybe synergy.  The rope was moving around with no effort, or very very little, it felt weightless, I couldn't feel it when spinning.  Around that same time, the jumps were very smooth, also somewhat weightless.  I think it lasted 3, maybe 4 revolutions, but it was pretty neat, whatever it was.

Did something fun tonight.... fun, tiring as hell, and stupid... well, maybe not stupid.  My internal scaling got me done in 22 minutes (second to last).  Kelly D was a bit more accurate in her numbers, and she was the last one going.  I put up everything I'd gotten out, and decided on my way back to where our boxes were, I was going to finish the workout with her.  Why?  No idea.  I was all ready to start stepping up, when she got to the burppees.  Great.  Dave P had the same idea, and the 3 of us started doing burpees together... let me rephrase that, Kelly and  Dave we're doing burpeess together, going at a quicker than anticipated pace.  I tried to keep up.  LOL.  I got left in the dust.  The funny thing, I was trying as hard as I could to keep up.  The burpees I was putting out were faster than any of the ones I'd done during my own workout.  And not just a little bit faster, they were quite a bit faster.  I need to do my regular burpees with that intensity.  Found out something new about myself today... I CAN go faster.   

Last thing I got before going to bed, I ripped my favorite shirt tonight.  In the car.  The center console came down, and I just figured I'd pull it out without opening the console up.  I've done it plenty of times before, why not.  The KIA Optima I've got this week had other plans.  It didn't let that shirt go even a little bit.  I felt the rip... and sadness ensued.  Going to be harder to double dip with a shirt that has a fist sized hole in it.  Oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment