Tuesday, April 21, 2015

DNF

Three letters I hate.... Did. Not. Finish.  Shitty way to start the workout week.  Let me take a small step back, I was feeling all kinds of wrong when I stepped into the box tonight, but I knew I'd feel better in a little bit, and I did. 

I should have known it would be a rough night.  I decided to take the New Balance out, had looked at the WOD earlier, and it looked like 12 snatches, then a nice little METCON... buuuuut it wasn't 12 snatches, it's was a 12 minute EMOM with 3 snatches in each minute.  Power snatch, hang snatch, hang squat snatch.... great.  And now the completeness of my failure was apparent.  Plenty of snatch work, oh, and every 4th round, add weight... and me without a foundation to build on.

Every snatch, I'm thinking about my shoes.... matter of fact, forgot to mention, during the warmup, I was doing 5 OHS with the bar.... on the second or third one, I started falling backwards... couldn't save it.  Plunk, right down.  I think this is only the third time I've ever fallen over.  I blame the shoes.  It's funny, as many times as I've talked about these shoes, you'd think I'd chuck them and not look back.  Not to say they're bad shoes, I just don't think they're for me.  So why am I keeping them around?  Funny word... hope.  I hope that next time will be different....  The one "downside" to being an optimist I guess.

So the snatches, they went ok, I think of the 12, I only got 3 really solid squat snatches done.  Didn't have a stable enough base, and with the last 4 being 95lbs... unstable base means I'm not really itching to try hang squat snatches.  I mean I tired, but I only got two power snatches with a OHS at the end.... as disappointed as I was with this, I was feeling much better than when I started.  Cheers to endorphins.  

Second piece was simple.  2 rope climbs (or 20 mountain climbers per rope climb, so 40), 20  box jump overs.  3 rounds.  Go!  Mountain climbers... slow going (in my mind) but solid.  Box step overs... I wen with the 20" box again, trying to get stronger.  Might have been a mistake.  Between that, and the lack of water throughout the day, the second round of mountain climbers had a nice cramp form in the left quad.  I tried to stop, and stretch it.  Brian was coaching... "c'mon Dan, don't stop"... I wish it was just an I'm tired stop.  I tried the hurdlers stretch and a couch stretch, better.  To the box, 1, 2.... 8.  and I stopped.  Even with using my right leg to step up, my quad kept tightening.  Took the time to go over to the racks to get "the stick".  Rolled out the quad for a few minutes... felt better, but having to put up a DNF... not my idea of fun.

So, first workout back from an extended weekend, not the best, but I went, and got some work in.  I've drank almost 100oz SINCE the workout and will finish with a little bit more before the night is over.  Cramps suck... no mas cramps!  Viva los aquas!

No comments:

Post a Comment