Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Cleanin' and Jerkin'

Can't believe I made it the entire Thanksgiving week without a single stitch of turkey.  Not that I was trying to avoid it mind you, but I had a carb. bonanza. that day and there wasn't much protein on the plate... paid for it on my flight Monday too... So much bloating and gas, bet I was a joy to be around.  Thankfully I slept for a bit on each flight, so I didn't notice it :)  I guess I should reference that the family Thanksgiving was Sunday. 

Monday sucked.  I mean it was a work day, THEN a travel day.  Didn't get to DE and in bed until 3AM on Tuesday.  Ug.  Another 3 5hour energy day..... didn't quit (caffeine) over this break like I thought I would... so maybe Christmas....

Monday also sucked because the rental I picked up has issues mechanically, and more importantly, has some extra fees.  I'm flew in at BWI, and I'm flying out from PHL, so it's a one-way rental.  Those apparently carry a $.35 charger per mile.  I'm glad I found that today... beacause I was going to go to Diamond State, and that would have cost me almost $60, not counting gas.  I love you guys, a lot, but I can't afford $80 a trip.  Time I can spend, yes, $$, not quite there, can't explain that away to the bean counters.  But it's all good, I'll be back next week with a round trip from the same airport (DCA)...this means it's an unlimited mileage...so I can drive to Canada and back, and there is no extra mileage charge.  Still have to pay for that gas though... so thats not working, but you get the idea. 

So that means more time with the Unlocked crew.  Helluva "consolation prize" since I couldn't make it to CFDS.  Had an interesting workout tonight.  At first glance, it wasn't anything I really wanted to do... but I'm here, it's a WOD with good peeps... lets do it!. 

Clean and jerk...still sounds dirty...I'll never grow out of my sophomoric humor, sue me.  This is a move I haven't done very much of in all my months of CrossFit.  I hit a 1RM tonight for the movement.  Was close to my 1RM for the separate movements.  Stuck with the power clean to get the weight up... and I wonder if I'd tried to squat clean it, if I'd been fine to do it.  When you don't think about it too much, it can't get in your head right?  The jerk was decent, I just did a push jerk...or squat jerk... I don't know the name exactly, but I didn't jump.  I'm still not comfortable leaving my feet with extra weight. 

We shared bars tonight, I worked with a new guy Randy.  He did pretty good for being new to the lifting.  I tried my best to show him good technique when I was working and he was resting.  Hopefully I did ok.  My last lift... wasn't it though.  LOL.  I caught the bar with a bowed back, and I don't remember if it was there, or in the dip/drive of my push jerk.  At some point, in there, I popped something above the sacrum.  It didn't hurt, but it did surprise me.  My push jerk was a lot more like a push press than a jerk... but I got it up and done.  175lbs. 

It didn't hurt... but I felt like I should stop while I'm ahead... almost stopped the workout, but there wasn't pain, stiffness, or soreness, so I decided to continue on.   Diane I believe is this wonder workouts name.  21-15-9 of dead-lifts at 225 and handstand pushups.  I didn't do the full 225.  I ended up with 185 on my bar, it was heavy, but didn't slow me down terribly much....the last 9, I only dropped the bar once, had found a great rhythm.  The HSPU's were another matter.  I got a new mod, instead of just doing knee pushups, or flubbing with box pushups, did something different.  Put some plates on the ground, then stood in a pike position as best I could, and did them that way....I'm sure it doesn't lend itself to the imagination...
There, like that... and the higher you get your but in the air, the more like a HSPU it is, and the harder it is.  I don't have a picture of how I looked doing it, but I feel like I was where these kids are... and, to my own shame, I think I was going down maybe 4"... I mean it may have been more, but I certainly didn't feel like I was going very far.  Shit was hard man.  I did about half of the 21, then went to the knees... I didn't bother with many the 2nd and 3rd rounds.  Ended up at 7:56 with the 8 minute cap out there... Guess I made the right call. 

Cashout was a 20 calorie row.  Apparently there is a way to game the wheel, so you can get it to a calorie a pull.... I'll have to mess with it to see.  I just pulled at it, and it took me 35 seconds to hit 20 calories.  Not a bad time, but not where I want to be.  Rowing is my great equalizer, and minus not having the lung capacity other athletes have, it's a level playing field.  Maybe I can make this my whoop ass area for now... hmmm, devious thoughts. 

Alright, thats everything.  Ate a meh dinner tonight, wasn't expecting to be down here, so I ended up with a few pieces of fried chicken tenders... just couldn't wait till I got back to the hotel (and then showered) to go somewhere else.  Had my recovery and some veggies when I got back, so it wasn't a total loss.  Looking forward to tomorrow and what it brings.  Until then!


No comments:

Post a Comment