Monday, December 8, 2014

Monday night in misery

Man, where to start... I guess at 3am, when I got up to start my day... tired...had an interesting flight into DCA too... only the second time in over 300 flights where I thought today might be the day I don't make it.  It's hard to explain in words... well, no, it's hard to explain without using a lot of words.  Short version, someone screwed up, and in DC airspace, there isn't much room for "oops" before you're over a no fly zone.  It was fun.  :)

Lets jump right into it.  I've been debating how exactly I wanted to talk trash.... or if I was going to talk trash... I'll just tell you what happened.  I get there, right on time, started stretching, ready to go.  We're about to do the warm up, Jeff is running the show, trying to decide what to do.  Then he gets a suggestion from the peanut gallery.  Ticket said something... and to be honest, I didn't hear him, but the result was this thing... call it a burpee circle?  If you haven't experienced this... it's something special.  Essentially you form a circle, make sure there is adequate space between everyone, then lay on your stomach.  Someone starts, and they jump over you, do a burpee, jump over the next person, do another one, so forth and so on.  After that first person has been jumped over, then they jump up, and do likewise. 

Pretty good warmup right?  We had like 20 people tonight.  Thats a lot of burpees to warm up with for me man.  I started slowing down, may have sandbagged a little so I'd have juice for this nasty workout...  didn't make it any easier (didn't help the workout either...).  I will say the added pressure of having people behind me waiting, made me push harder.... welcome to CrossFit, land of wanting to do better and not impede other people. 

Anyway, get that done... and I'm half looking at the door like dang, I'm done, I'm out.  3am wake up call and ya'll treat me like this.... and it's not even the workout.  This WOD is what I've come to expect from Unlocked, and in particular from the coach who programmed it.  I won't give out any names, but this guy needs to be beat with wrapping paper tubes and rotten tomato.  Some of the nastiest workouts here are his... It's a love/hate relationship. 

50 calorie row. 40 wall balls, 8 bastards, 30 box jumps, 8 bastards, 20 power cleans, 8 bastards, 10 handstand pushups, 8 bastards, 20 power cleans, 8 bastards, 30 box jumps, 8 bastards, 40 wall balls. 

That row... I have no idea why it was so difficult... actually I do.  I was trying to pull like a champion rower... and get one calorie per row, but damn that took a lot out of the tank.  I should have just pulled the way I row, changing it messed me up bad.  I mean I had to stop several times.  I can row a 1k in under 4 minutes, not much in the way of stopping, but 50 calories, stopped several times.  I must have looked haggard as a mother, because Jeff came over and was like go ahead and do 4 bastards instead of 8.  I had no problem agreeing. 

I'm not going to tell you about the suffering, about the scaling, about the step ups... well, I will say the step ups need to be on an 18" box.  I think that is going to be the best thing till I can do 24" step ups in their place, then maybe, just maybe get around to doing box jumps.  So yeah, two of my five least favorite movements, and lots of them.  Wallballs and burpees... I'm having flashbacks already.  Just a touch over 30 minutes.  Good workout... and really, it's workouts like these that have me believing I'm going to be back on that 10lbs per month weight loss program in no time. 

I'm going to bed, it's late enough.  Should be hitting up CFDS tomorrow, but I've been told there might be a wintery mix.  If the people down here's driving gets me when it's dry, I can only imagine what it's like with that.... lawd help us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment