Monday, March 23, 2015

How did he do that?

Man alive what a day.  Little bit of personal info, when I get less than 5 hours sleep, that alarm is downright discombobulating.  Or maybe it's because I fell back asleep shortly before the alarm went off... but it takes me probably 20 seconds to find my bearings to shut it of, or at least quite it down.  I guess it would help to tell you that the alarm is my phone... for whatever reason, it's rocket science. 

All that to say not a lot of sleep coming out today... and then there was the flight.  The flight attendants must have been super skinny vegans, because this flight was hot.  I was asleep shortly after liftoff, and it was fine, then I woke up, nearly sweating... rest of the flight was meh!  Fast forward to 5pm, and it's go time.  I've been waiting all weekend for another shot at 15.4.

I get to the box, get my warmup in... and then I wait.  Handful of folks are re-doing 15.4, the rest are doing the class.  I'm warmed up now, I've got my bars ready, and then I went and counted for Big Ticket, he was trying to do it Rx.  The man gave it every effort over 8 minutes, came up with a goose egg.  I felt bad for him, but he tried, and got damn close several time.  Brian DeLeon put up 94 I think (made that 185 power clean look easy), quite the number having seen it in person.  Laura Navarre rounded out this group, not sure how many she did, but I think she beat her husband Jeremy....or at least thats the way I heard it.  :) 

Michele and I are up to do it next.  She's going RX, I'm doing scaled again.  This time I've got some (not my own yet...) wrist wraps.  My first warmup set didn't feel good at all... and frankly, I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do anything today, but putting the wraps on, and things felt better, so we're ready to go.  First round was fast, 10 unbroken on the press, and I can't remember, but I think I did 10 unbroken on the cleans.  Great start.  Then things got rough.  Frankly, I didn't keep a good track of when I dropped the bar... but I did start dropping the bar.  Ali P was counting my reps, and occasionally saying things like "use your hips" or "DIP!".  It helped, I'm sure of it.

Somewhere along the way, I became aware that I was at my last attempts number, and then I was past it.  Which is awesome, but I was out of gas.  I pushed, pulled, dipped, cleaned, dirtied... and then I stopped.  8:01 on the clock, times up.  Tally up the damage, and I ended up with 10 reps over what I did on Friday.  I'll take it.  Can't tell you if I was more tired then or now... may, be about the same?  Not sure.  The wraps, the coaching, and motivation of wanting to beat a few peoples scores gave me the juice to put a bit more up. 

I knew I had more in the tank after the first time, and I might even have a little more still after this time... I think I slowed down after I hit my original score, knowing I had plenty of time to improve my score.  I feel like that zapped some of my drive for sure.  Oh well, I know this will come back around at some point over the next 12 months, and I'm looking forward to it, I might have a clean 100 in me still.

I improved 10, Michelle preformed her own magic, and she did 14 more, which is awesome.  Funny story, we both had 75 the first time.  If only I'd pushed for 4 more... that would have been a cool story. 

Alright, so back to Big Ticket.  I hate this guy.  I mean I love him, he's awesome, but I hate him.  Lemmie explain.  After his efforts at 15.4 Rx, while I was doing my 15.4, he was doing the WOD.  As I'm putting up my stuff, Ali, Michelle... both?  People we're asking him what he was going to do with the open since you can't put up a 0.  Ticket...idk if he got goaded enough, maybe his competitive fire got stoke... maybe a bit of both?  Either way, he relents, he'll do it scaled.  Now keep in mind, he's tried to do HSPU's, and he's done a WOD already.

Time starts, and he blows through the first two sets in like 47 seconds.  I'm sure it's not a record, but it's fast enough, faster than me for sure.  So he's plodding along, starts slowing down, stopping, taking breaks.  He eventually gets to 65, drops the bar, and goes and sits down.  Michelle (his fiance) and I are both kinda flabbergasted.  I mean this dude just stopped, and sat down.  Everyone is like WTF are you doing, get up and get back on that bar.  Dude is like "man I'm tired".  We finally get him back on the bar, he's had like a minute breather with something like 2 and a half minutes left.  Keep in mind, he was at 65.  In the final bit, this dude does whole 10 rep unbroken sets again.  He grabbed another 30 reps before he was done. 

He tried the workout RX... did another workout... took a minute break in the middle...  and he still beat me.  I can't tell you how conflicted I am.  On one hand, I'm a little disheartened and pissed, but that was short lived... what I really want to figure out, is how to get that effort out of him on a more consistent basis.  Now, I'm not his coach, and I'm not sure what his goals are, but he's got something deeper in there, and if he can find a way to harness it, there isn't anything stopping him from being an absolute monster.

Alright, enough about Ticket....enough about me too... why does it take me hours to write these?  Oh, I know, tv's on in the background...SQUIRREL!  

No comments:

Post a Comment