Monday, March 2, 2015

15.1, a eulogy to my hands

Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today to...   my hands hurt, a lot... or they did, they're better now.  The bars at On Track are wrapped in tape, and after the first round of 15.1, I was doing them in sets of 1 and 2.  It sucked something fierce.  My stated goal was 150 and 150 for 15.1 and 15.1a respectively. 

I got to the box well before any class was due to start.  My shoulder has given me fits since Saturday, I did get adjusted by @Iamthehealer but it was still sore overall.  Spent a lot of time with my own lax ball working it over the weekend... never got 100% feeling good, but I think it did good overall.  Back to today, got in nice and early, did a little rowing, some pipe work, then spent a lot of time with bands and doing other stretches.  Did a pretty good job too. :)  I got my weights, bar, everything setup for my workout, did some light reps to make sure it all felt good.  Then I waited.

I think I spend close to 45 minutes warming up, mainly it was me and this guy named Cody.  People started trickling in around 415 or so.  Some to do the class, others to re do 15.1 for themselves.  Still not knowing people, I figured I might have to wait a bit to get someone to judge me... and I was right.  Cody and this dude Frank both had someone pretty quick, and I watched them go.  Frank killed it, was moving confident and fast, he got 7 rounds.  Not bad at all.  Watched his C&J as well, strong dude, made it all look easy.  Real easy.  Finally, my time had come... and I had butterflys.  What?  Butterfly's, really?  Oh yeah.  Not major ones mind you, but they were there... the thrill of competition, nice to have that again. 

GO! 

Grabbed the bar and ripped out 5 quick knee raises (doing scaled now btw, after a talk with the coaches, it seemed like the best option).  Dropped, did 4, 4, 2.  10 deadlifts, 5 ground to overhead, done.  Round one was pretty good, can't see the clock, but I'm assuming I did it in sub 60 seconds.  Hands hurt now.  Round 2, sucked.  I was doing the knee raises 1 and 2 at a time, I think I might have managed to hold on for a 3 once... it was brutal.  My hands hurt... I can't emphasize that enough, it was painful.  I'd hop off the bar rubbing both hands together real quick, then jump back up.  FINALLY got done... and I'm a little panicked.  There is no way I'm getting 5 rounds (150 total reps) at this rate.  I turned, banged out the deadlifts and ground to overhead again.  Now, I say I turned, I had the bar right behind the rig, so I just needed to do a 180 degree turn, and take a step, and I was moving weight again.  No wasted time here fella. 

So I address the rig, and Cody (who's being my judge now) has grabbed a bucket of chalk... and I've never been so happy to see chalk in my entire life.  It was all powder, but I didn't care.  Rubbed my hands together in it, and banged out 4 in a row with no pain.  THATS MORE LIKE IT.  I got through another set of 4 before grabbing more chalk.  Cooking with gas now.  Deadlifts are done quick again, I think I had a small break in the ground to overheads... and now might be as good a time as any... I was doing a power clean push press for my ground to overhead.  A power snatch would have been faster, but I remember those killing me in previous WODs, so I did this. 

Fourth round had it snowing... I'm all about the chalk at this point.  Anything to mitigate the pain.  Don't recall how I split it up... do recall slowing on my push pressing again.  Round 5... at this point I'm panting... holding my breath during movements... everything is all wrong.  I was back to breaking up the knee raises to 2-3 at a time, chalks was no longer effective.  I was able to get all the raises, all the deadlifts, and my first ground to overhead before I hit 0900 on the timer.  Sooooo close.  If I'd used chalk sooner, I'd have had my 150, I know it.  No time to mourn, I've got 6 minutes to put up my best CnJ. 

As soon as I dropped that last ground to overhead, I picked the bar up and CnJ'd it at that weight, so I'd have something in the books should I keel over, collapse a lung, or otherwise fail to get another lift in.  I had a good plan on how to bump the weight up over the 6 minutes, but I couldn't remember it at this point.  Tired body tired mind.  The one thing I did do for myself was get different clamps than the norm. 

What most people use at OT


What I used at OT

 Ever other box I've been to, has the wire clamps, but they don't have that ridiculous 90 degree bend in them... I hate them.  The plastic collars are easily the way to go for me... easily.  So I did myself this small favor. 

I added and changed weights several times, hit 175 with about a minute left.  Added 10 more pounds... couldn't clean it.  Well... didn't clean it.  I think had I put a bit (maybe A LOT) more effort into getting under the bar, I might have been able to do it.... form form form form form.  Sigh.  Oh well, 175, after being pretty tired, will work. 

As of right now, I'm somewhere in the middle, just under the middle in the scaled division...  think 51 or 52 of 100 people, just scaled out to 16k.  Not bad at all for my first event in my first open.  I'm a little geeked...  oh, and I beat my nemesis :D  He had 130 and 155 to my 146 175.  I'm stronger for now, just need to get that weight off like he has.  One day, I'll meet Mr. Null and take a photo, give him proper credit for the extra drive he's giving me to get things done. 

15.1 in the books... and I'm happy I did it.  Taran, you were right, this was the right call, I'm happy I did it.  The community feeling of it is fantastic.  Bonus, 2 of my peeps at CFDS are in the top 20 rx.  As of yesterday, one Unlocked athlete was top 10 in his division, and a guy I met at Establish who's now down at On Track as of last week also posted a top 20 in Rx... I know some BAMF's.  :D  Great job to them, to me, and to you if you've decided to do the Open this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment