Monday, September 15, 2014

Squat Cycle Day 1

Might not be a day 2.  LOL.  I don't know... we'll see how I'm feeling on Wednesday. 

Took 4 days off.  Fight Gone Bad, Fran (with toes 2 bar instead of pullups), and then Cindy, all back to back to back... I took 4 days off...thats all I can tell you.  That's enough for some folks.... not for the Dan I want to be, but for the Dan I am today, it was all I could handle.  Today was the start of a new week, and my knee seemed to get worse over the past 4 days.  Plenty of rest and elevation... don't know what happened.  For the first 3 days it was that side knee stuff... today it was a little of that, and then over the kneecap.  *shrug*

Went to the box, had a good turnout tonight.  The did bench press PR (which I wanted to get in on...) and then some poor mans Fight Gone Bad (which I didn't).  I had planned on doing day 1 week 1 (hereby referred to as 1-1, next is 1-2, etc etc) anyway.  Strap on my velcros and get to work.  I didn't have a good plan on stretching... I did a lot of things, probably missed some really good ones for getting ready to squat... that said, I felt I was ready...enough. 

1-1 is a simple enough setup:


Back SquatFront Squat
Week 1 Day 110 @ 605 @ 60

8 @ 705 @ 70

6 @ 755 @ 70

4 @ 805 @ 70

So I took this info, wrote down my numbers going off my new 1RM... and then, proceeded to get everything wrong.  Let me 'splain. 

I got the math right using the printed scaled you can find in most boxes... and then I got it all wrong by what I put on the bar.  I started off with a few warm up squats...knee wasn't feeling awful, so I went ahead and decided to do this.  Did 3 with the bar, then did 3 with 25's on the bar.  Feeling pretty good, a bit heavy for 95, my head must not be in the game.... no, my head wasn't in the game.  I put on 2 more 25# plates, making it 145.  It was supposed to 135.  I wonder now, if I'd done it right, if I'd made it.... as it was, I got 5 of my first 10 done... and this ish was heavy.  I stopped at 5... I've got questions...I walked (honestly, it was with a bit of a limp) over to Adrian, I have questions.  Asked him about the rep scheme... wanted to make sure it should be unbroken... then told him I thought it might be a bit heave for me tonight.  He told me people have been known to do rep schemes like this from a lower PR...will be something to consider.  I'll follow up with head coach Jordan tomorrow. 

So with this new found information, I go back and look at my bar... son of a bisch, thats 145 and not 135... well, 10 pounds isn't much, but it's still heavier.  Considering this new information, and the fact I'm not feeling particularly strong tonight, I lower the weight by a large margin.  I didn't write it down at the time, but I think I went back to the 95 and did 10 of those, and increased from there to a max of 135 for my "80%".  I'm going to raise this for next week's day 1 which is similar... but it's where I'm at today. 

The front squats would have been fine where they were, but I was already so deep in my own head with this, I dropped this down too far as well.  I did something like 65 an d 95.  Some of the last sets of 95 had me suffering a bit with keeping my back straight and chest up.  All and all, not terrible, but not the weight I was supposed to be doing...

My squats from both sets were solid in my head, I felt like if I'd have put a med ball down, I'd have been hitting it hard enough that it would be a bit less medball looking... and that is probably a bit of an exaggeration, but I paused at the bottom of almost, if not every one of my squats, thats a plus.  I need to work on pushing my butt back first, then going down.  Talking to Adrian, he doesn't notice my knees crashing in, but things part of my knee issue may be that my hips don't know what to do with my butt quite yet... so this push it back part might help more than I think... need to stick with it. 

So thats tonight... tomorrow I'm doing the first Lurong WOD.  I'm excited and not at the same time, but not for the reason you may think.  I'm ready to get some numbers on the board....just not ready to do it at 0530.  I don't know about other boxes, but I feel like the Lurong Challenge is an after after thought here.  Signups and general mood about it isn't exactly what I was hoping for.  I know CFDS is doing it big, and I suspect Unlocked is putting a good deal in it too.  I don't know that we have coaches who are willing to take measurements.  Thats not to say they wont... I just mean no one jumped up like "hey, I'll help yall out".  My community dreams have taken a hit in my own mind, feel like it's a lot of individuals moving in unison, and not as much of a team dynamic.  Giving it time still. 

Thats all I've got, it's 943, and I need to get to bed.  0450 will be here WAAAAAY too soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment