Monday, February 2, 2015

Defeatist will be shot

Nothing like a picture of Stalin to get the point across. 

This is the sentiment for my day... It's been a rough one.  I was a defeatist today.  I was defeated today.  Sleep, as always, is an issue.  Had the worst turbulence of my life on the way to Delaware this week.  Didn't physically feel all that well.  Sure as hell didn't want to workout.  Got off work late.  Got checked into the hotel late.  Was late getting to the box.  Alls I wanted to do was sleep.  The WOD looked like a killer.  Did I mention I'm tired?  Yet I kept driving, kept moving forward. 

I got to the box... still didn't want to workout.  Talked to the coaches, shared my conditioning concerns, decided to do a half workout.  Today is a Hero WOD in reverse.  Morrison.  10-20-30-40-50 wallballs, box jumps, KB swings.  This is definitely more of a chipper than the last WOD I wrote about, even with just doing half of it. 

Nothing I did today was revolutionary, nothing really stood out as a defining moment.... well, no, one thing did.  On my last set of wallballs... I think I finally figured them out.  What I mean is that I think I've finally figured out a way to stay tall and keep decent form on the squat.  It's too bad it took me this long (the 9 months... not the workout time), but I think I really might have it.  We'll see come next time.  Ended up with a time of 23:13.  Got beat by coach Ali by like 5 seconds...and she did the WHOLE thing.  It was a little weird being "done" before everyone else.  I cheered on those who looked like they needed it, same as I needed it.  I still think this was the right call for me today, hopefully next time I'll be in a better place to do it all.  

Looking back, now, I have some regret in not doing more, but in that same breath, I did the best I could with the energy I had at the time.  Hindsight is always a funny thing like that I suppose.  What I can tell you though, is that after doing this workout, I felt better.  Endorphins, spending time with the Unlocked family, life is good.  I had this photo, it's worth sharing again. 
So many truths discovered with this.  So many.... Thankfully, no defeatist were shot today. 

Some things I wanted to toss out before I get to bed (EARLY!!!!).

Coach Gia shared this article, I found it to be poignant, and very blunt.  There is some adult language, but if you can get around that, this might server as a source of inspiration for you.  It has given me some new perspective... especially around the word "treat".    Which brings me to my next picture. 
Carla has been fantastic with these meals, and sometimes she adds the "treats" sometimes not.  I'm not in it for the treats, so when they don't happen, it's not a big deal.  When they do happen, it's really nice thought.  So Carla, if you're reading this, no worries.  You keep doing the great job with the meals, and if you don't have treats sometimes, it's all good, you're still a champ in my book.  :D

Two more things.  One, Amazon Prime came through with the Sunday delivery.  I've got my new rope.  I'll spare you the picture, I mean it's a jump rope... but still much like the Marine Corps rifleman's creed, "there are many like it, but this one is mine."  Excited to get something I can get comfortable with, and eventually good with. 

Last thing, I'm thinking off adding some different content.  No longer just things about me, and my sufferings, gains, and postulations on how to do this CrossFit "stuff" better... I think I want to start doing interviews with some of the coaches.  Let you see the fantastic people who are making my life a better one, one workout at a time.  More to come on that, possibly sooner than later. 



No comments:

Post a Comment