Tuesday, February 17, 2015

New squat mechanics are on the way

What a night.  Not to give you the desert first, but after the WOD they had a little winter/sledding party at Unlocked.  Food, friends, fun.  I didn't partake in the snow festivities... A, I don't have any gear out here, B, I got enough of the snow as a delivery driver, C... I might be getting sick, so why give it more of a reason to hit?  Good times were had though.  Unlocked is like home, I've broke bread with these folks, they've treated me like family... life is good. 

I could have gone to CFDS tonight, the roads weren't bad, they'd all been cleaned, but I'd already decided that I was staying down here after seeing the WOD they were doing.  Why?  Squats!  Haven't done these for a heavy amount for a long while, so I was curious where I'd end up.  Got a PR (265), so that was fun.  On that PR squat though, I felt something strange in my right hip area... not sure what it was, didn't hurt, wasn't a pop, nothing got tight... it was a little different...  I did mess up tonight though.  I knew how much was on the bar, and I think that messed with me a bit.  Not knowing the weight, but going up a little at a time... it's always worked for me.  Tonight, I knew exactly how much was on each lift, and a year from now, I'm sure I'll have to know... but today, now, I don't need to, and I should probably stick with that since it works. 

The other thing I did different tonight... I was working with my man Dave P, and he thought I had the bar a bit high on my neck, wanted me to put it a little lower, on a meatier part of the shoulder.  I tried it once...  don't remember if it was on my old PR, or just before it... but I can tell you that it was different.  I mean everything about it... my stance, my grip, my core... all of it was just different... it was weird.  I think it forced me to stay more upright, and truthfully, I think it's the better way to do it, but I'm going to have to learn myself into it, one squat at a time. 

The METCON tonight was a little bit of Tabata, a little bit Fight Gone Bad... and a whole lot of sweat.  4 rounds of 4 movements, performed for 1 minute each, 30 seconds rest between each movement.  Wall balls, situps, hand release pushups, and calorie rows.  I was actually looking forward to this.  I thought I had those wall balls figured out after the last time down here... and I was wrong.  ROFL!  I can't even blame it on the squats, my legs weren't in that bad of shape.... I just struggled.  Situps weren't a killer... I think the last 2 or 3 times of doing 50+ in WODs has helped.  The HR pushups... I feel like I'm doing them wrong off the knees.... and no, not the picking my hands up.  My hand placement is a bit wider though... and I don't know if my form is all that good... I DO know, when I start to push, I make sure to try and tighten my core so the shoulders, chest, etc all rise as one.... but it still feels wrong... I need coaching.  Nothing special on the rower... I did better calorie wise as the WOD went on, and my form got better... shoulders didn't slump so much, sat up straighter, etc. 

Sigh.  It was still a good night though, good sweat, good workout, gotta PR, thats good too...  Heading home early, no WOD tomorrow... I've got a post I'm working on as I get time... not workout related.  Hopefully it's a good read.  Anyway, it's not super late, but I'm super tired.  Night night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment