Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Accidental PR's are pretty damn cool

Well there.  Interesting night.  Found myself going to CFDS tonight.  Wasn't sure if I'd do the workout... had a heavy 10 RM for the back squat to do... and after setting a PR for the 1RM last night... I... just... no. 

Got to CFDS... decided I was going to talk to Gia, find out what she though.  So I get in, wave and talk to several of my peoples, then I get to G.  I tell her my issues.  My triceps hurt when I look at them.  My abs...or where they're going are sore.  My glutes are a little sore.  Oh, and I just set a 1RM for the same movement tonight.  What do you think about me rowing a bit?  I don't remember the exact response, but it was something like "sure". 

I took a while to get to the rower, spent a lot of time catching up with people and G in the 630 class.  Finally pulled down the rower.  Wasn't sure how far I'd go.  2, 3, 4k?  Lets go.  I started off pulling and looking around, watching folks workout, reading some of the 2014 goals on the CFDS board... lots of things crossed out or increased, very cool to see.  I now started focusing on the pull.  Making sure I was at about 22 pulls a min.  Legs, arms, back, legs, arms, back again, legs, arms, etc.  I'm not sure why I decided to look down at the distance, it was one of the smaller numbers... it was at 850m.  So I looked at the time, over 3 minutes... hmmm, maybe I can get to 1k by 4? 

PULL MOTHER !@#%#&!  I kept the same form, but I added nearly 20 pulls per minute.  I had 150m...ish to get to 1k.  I pulled faster and faster, I'm going to do it, going to do, going to....

Damn,  just missed it.  I stopped my last pull with 15m or so to go and let it "coast" to 1k.  Breathless.  Cost me my 4 minutes.  Ended up with 04:01.  14 second PR.  It's funny... to me at least... I wasn't even trying for a PR...or for time at all, until I saw that I was close and tried.  STILL took 14 seconds off my previous time... crazy.  I'm actually stoked.  Crazy how that happened.  I'll be in the 3's next time. 

Anyway, rowed another 1k, but with 2 breaks.  Then I was done.  More talking with G, Randi, and a few other peeps, and then it was time to go home.  I enjoy the trips, and the time with fam.  Worth it every time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment