Monday, October 20, 2014

5 months in and still going.

I shouldn't be surprised that it's already been 5 months, I mean time keeps marching on.  That said, I'm stopping to smell the roses, and take stock of where I'm at, for better or worse.  

"Keeping it real"... I've fallen off the paleo wagon, got back on it, fell off again... it's been a rough deal.  Doesn't help that I should be doing it 100% correct for Lurong...ug.  Failure is a great teacher though, and doing it wrong has show me why I should be doing it right.  I've had stomach issues, bloated feeling, I'm slower, don't feel as alert...the list goes on and on.  If nothing else, this last week has shown me where I need to get better at outside the box. 

The past few weeks have really reinforced what proper eating can do for you.  I should have learned that when everything was going good, but instead I jumped off the wagon at the first signs of progress.  Momma always said I learned things the hard way, seems she was right.  Really, I need to stop talking about how I know it's better... just shut up and do it. 

My goals.  Still not any significant progress on them.  Well, thats not true.  I think I can do a single pushup.  I was doing some movement a week or so ago, and I was pretty close to doing the pushup then, but it wasn't what I was focused on... I think it would be good for me to go over them once every few months and update them.  I did that semi-recently, so I'll leave it for now.  At 6 months I should probably re-evaluate, and add the things I want to do now, like get my OHS over 100 this year, push press 200lbs soon, etc etc. 

Kinda going back to the eating... I need to hop on the scale more.  This once a month thing was great, till it stopped.  I haven't seen my PCP for a few months now, and I have no idea where I am on the scale.  This bad eating and no accountability on the back end is a dangerous combo.  It may not be for everyone, but I feel like I should go weekly, or at least bi-weekly.  Closer monitoring is what I need now.  "Quick wins" make progressing to that long term goal a little easier.

Alright, enough bad and semi-bad stuff.  Good things.  I'm stronger by close to double on everything I started on.  Body has responded positively to CrossFit, a few issues aside.  I see muscles in places I haven't seen muscles in a long time.  I move easier.  I was flexible before, but I'm more so now.  My clothes are looser, some hang off me now, and that gets me positive comments.  Good things to have.

Ok, I think thats all the truthiness I have time for this morning.  Lets talking WODs.  EST celebrated their 1 year on Saturday.  FGB was the workout.  I went into this thing thinking I was going to smoke my original 207 by 15-20 reps.  I was confident this was going to happen.  Beyond confident, I was boastful.  I fell stronger, I wasn't going to start on the rower like I did the first time, I had a mission.  With as many people showing up as we had, we had to have partners to count and go in 2 big groups.  I counted the first time, and the guy I was following did 267.  He's a tall skinny cat named Brent, and he's pretty good at all the movements.  This was when I got my first, "uh... maybe this will be different".   Oh buddy it was different. 

168 was my number.  Maybe it was 167.  Idk.  It was LOW compared to the first time.  I was tired as sheet too.  When I got that number, I was a bit upset, how could I drop 50 reps?  Figured it out pretty quick.  One of the biggest culprits was the fact that the stations were all around EST, which is about 3x the size of Unlocked, maybe even 4x.  So there was extra walking.  Second, I did plate jumps, then eventually plate step ups when my legs refused to jump any more.  Those are a lot easier than box step ups.  Ok, thats two big spots.  The highpulls were similar, and I'm pretty sure I did more push press than before... that leaves wallballs and the rowers.  Well, wallballs were a little better, but the rowing tanked.  

I had this grand idea that rowing shouldn't be my first thing, that I was losing too much time starting on the rower.  Have to disagree now.  The first time, the rower may have cost me 2-4 wallballs each round at most.  Doing the rowers last, cost me 10+ calories per event.  I remember hitting 26, 24, 22 at Unlocked, here at EST It was like 14, 12, 10.  Lesson here, row first.  LOL.  It also didn't help that someone used the rower I used.  They were moving the straps around, and that was extra time lost. 

So I didn't do as good from a numbers set, but I'd probably tell you then like now, that I worked harder this time.  Brings me to a point I thought about leading this post off with. 

CrossFit doesn't get easier, you get better.  It's not exactly rocket science to the people who already know.  I'd asked several people the question, and I'd gotten answers back, and they fell into three categories.  Ready?  Yes.  No.  Maybe.  Pretty good right?  I've got my own answer now, and thats what I put above.  It doesn't get easier, you get better.  What does that mean?  Glad you asked.  For me, it means that if you're progressing, getting better, then you're going to push  yourself harder....ergo, it never gets easier, but you're always getting better.  Savvy? 

Alright, I'm packing up, going to DE a little later in the day than normal, so I've got a plane to catch.  Until next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment