Monday, October 27, 2014

Don't Cheat Yourself

Had a great workout tonight, glad I went.  I went and got myself injured over the weekend.  How did you do that you ask?  One of the silliest ways possible.  The older game called Rock Band.  WHAT?!  Yeah, thats what I said too.  Played it late...or early Sunday morning...hadn't played in a while, figured I'd fire it up.  Banging away on the plastic drums (looked something like this), bobbing my head to the music... apparently pulled something.  Woke up that morning and it was evident damage had been done.  Sore in my shoulder... carried that pain all day yesterday, and through work today.  Couldn't wait to get to the box to lax ball this out. 

Got their on time... wanted to be there early, but construction near work made that a pipe dream.  Got stretched out, cut some of that short, but I wanted to spend some time putting the hurt to my shoulder.  Got that done and got to the strength piece, which was a heavy, if not new 5RM for the back squat.  I worked up to it slow, never really feeling too stained.  I stopped at the 4th weight increase at 175.  I could have done more... but I didn't want to be behind the group... and would have been had I kept going.  Something to push a bit next time.. 215 is the 1RM that I last did.  I'm pretty sure I could add at least 30 over to that now, can't wait to test that. 

METCON was nice.... I'm still slow, but I'm getting faster.  3RFT of 500m rowing, 15 hand release pushups, and 25 KB swings.  I went light on the KB's...lighter than the 70lbs Rx anyway.  The first round took me an even 5 minutes, which surprised me a little, I didn't think it would take me that long.  I didn't lose much pace on that through the other two.  Finished really tired at 15:52.  Looking forward to hitting this one again someday. 

Now, why the title don't' cheat yourself?  There were several parts here where I wanted to cheat... almost convinced myself to do it.  The squats... no one was watching me, I could have done 4 instead of 5.  After that, we actually had weighted good mornings.... could have taken a few off there.  Hand release pushups, KB swings.  Opportunity to get a better time was everywhere... but is that getting me anywhere?  Probably not.  My #1 competitor is myself, and cheating to get a better time doesn't do me any favors with getting better, and it also doesn't make "the winner" of the me vs me battle a very good champion...  If cheating isn't going to make me better, it's not going to make you better.  Taylor put of effing 351 or some such at our spaced out Fight Gone Bad.  Now she's pretty close to, if not actually an elite level female competitor.  There is no way I'm going to make up any ground on that number if I'm cutting corners in everyday workouts.  Know what I'm saying?

Last thing I want to make a comment on is my eating.  This weekend was good, but bad... but having Brian ask... or the specter of Brian asking me what I ate... is doing me worlds of good in keeping on the level.  I avoided the concourses at two airports because I couldn't get anything healthy.  I did have some Hawaiian bun sandwich that I got in business class on the last leg home, but that was 200 calories vs 1200... Baby steps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment