Monday, February 29, 2016

Open Season has returned. 16.1

Had a lot of things I was going to title this thing, but this works for me.

Just got done with my work day, but I'm writing this before I go home.  Got things to do there, so this  needs to get done here.... you understand.  

Ok, so to this open bidness.  I wasn't going to do it.  My boy Taran told me I should a while back, but I wasn't so sure.  I'd been out for months with injury, wasn't back to the 3-4 times a week... and then my utility company upped my level pay by an additional $120 AND the starter went out in the Mrs. car... $500 kick in the nuts, and suddenly that $20 fee is a lot bigger than it was before the weekend. 

Through my parents good graces "here son, go take you father out for breakfast", I managed to get my $20 on Saturday.  Game On. 

Still didn't sign up till today.  But I did it, and I've got a score to post.  62, which is 3 less than the number I needed (or at leas wanted).  Ol' Justin posted a 64.  I'd have beat him too, had I discovered my lunge secret sooner. 

Taking a step back, I've talked a bit about how I destroyed my calf about 4 months back.  What I haven't discussed much (because I didn't know) was that my muscles atrophied a bit.  A bit more than I realized I should say. 

I didn't go to the ground traditionally during lunge movements because... well, I don't have a great reason other than I didn't think I could... so now that I'm forced to do it for credit, I have to figure this out.  Thankfully, Diana Alt was there to give me some ideas. 

She was also there to judge me. 

The first set of lunges almost did me in.  My left foot forward, I could lunge out nice and far, get up easy too.  Left foot, BIG difference.  I spent the first 12 minutes of the workout trying to figure out the best wat to get down and back up with that trailing left leg.

You don't understand.  I dropped the bar probably 4, maybe even 5 times because of this.  I'd get stuck at the bottom, and then, rather than fight, I'd quit.  It was awful on every level.  Made me feel like my legs were the equivalent of that old Skittles commercial. 
If you don't see it, look closer, notice if one arm (or leg for me) is a bit more developed than the other...

So somewhere around the 12, maybe 14 minute mark, not wanting to quit, I discoverd that if I just barely touched my knee down, then came back up, mainly on that right quad, I could do these MUCH better. 

Problem is, I'm gassed now, so even with this new knowledge, I was already flaming out bad.  If only I'd done this on Friday night first...

Burpess were burpees.  Got super slow at the end, another reason I didn't hit my number... tell you what though, that jumping over the bar.  Total headcase about that.  I hate it.  I get it, and I'm glad I did it, but it messes with me.  Ever since the first time I tried box jumps....   oh, and the hanging jumping pullups.  Apparently I cut a very very very fine line between rep and no rep.  I'll work on that. 

So 62 reps, and what did I learn.  I can persevere.  I can not give up.  I can drop the bar on my big toe.  That actually happened.  Still hurts right now.  It wasn't black or blue when I took a bath, so hoping it's not broken... owie. 

Ready for 16.2, but I can tell you now, the DOMs from this will be most severe.  Going to have to roll out and rolling pin out a lot....

Other updates.  I'm  re branding a little.  Well, not really, just putting a 2.0 on things.  Going to start a FB page and put most of the video content up there.  Got a few short ones already.  Plan on linking these two as well.  Collaborative efforts and all that.  Probably link it the first few times, see what happens. 

The other reason I'm doing it, is to give me that extra bit of motivation, make sure I'm getting to the box man... been lacking a bit as you can tell by the extended windows of post dates. 

I had more I was going to talk about, but a peer stopped by, and we had a 30 minute work convo... so now my train is gone... until next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment